Random Chat Thread

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
He's a burglar.

I've spent 3 friggen days (on and off) searching Google for decent Victorian furniture places that make hand made furniture out of Vic Ash/Tassie Oak. Sent a few emails, looked at shitloads of sites and visited a few stores.

If I wanted cheap shit Chinese made I'd be laughing, $500 gets me a choice of 1 unit poorly made and cheaply made to look distressed at 10 different shops. If I want soft wood I can find a shit load of pine places willing to staple something together to my plans, if it suits them, and they want to charge me $2500. Both options got removed from the table quickly. I'm now onto decent furniture makers, I've found a few to talk to but currently even the 'experts' wont use full solid timber, they insist that they must use hardwood veneers.

Seriously I'm not after anything fancy and I could make this myself but I don't have the time however when the only option I have so far is $7500 for a cabinet made to my design but without my requested concealed hinges, full hard wood construction and using butt joints instead of dove tailed joints etc I'm beginning to think I have to find the bloody time.

I'm not afraid to pay for decent work but "made to order" used to mean they made they way the customer requested not made based on the ideas of the customer with shortcuts.

He's a burglar.

I've spent 3 friggen days (on and off) searching Google for decent Victorian furniture places that make hand made furniture out of Vic Ash/Tassie Oak. Sent a few emails, looked at shitloads of sites and visited a few stores.

If I wanted cheap shit Chinese made I'd be laughing, $500 gets me a choice of 1 unit poorly made and cheaply made to look distressed at 10 different shops. If I want soft wood I can find a shit load of pine places willing to staple something together to my plans, if it suits them, and they want to charge me $2500. Both options got removed from the table quickly. I'm now onto decent furniture makers, I've found a few to talk to but currently even the 'experts' wont use full solid timber, they insist that they must use hardwood veneers.

Seriously I'm not after anything fancy and I could make this myself but I don't have the time however when the only option I have so far is $7500 for a cabinet made to my design but without my requested concealed hinges, full hard wood construction and using butt joints instead of dove tailed joints etc I'm beginning to think I have to find the bloody time.

I'm not afraid to pay for decent work but "made to order" used to mean they made they way the customer requested not made based on the ideas of the customer with shortcuts.

Damn...I was working over i think Armadale way a year or so ago and was drawn to a shop with just what your looking for....but by f_ck just cant rmbr the location or the name...it will come to me sometine tho.

I cant say 100% Armadale but in that vicinty.....it was on one of the Main streets in that area...best i can rmbr the street ran east/west and the shop was on the north side...I know thats no help but its all i can say atm.

What I need is one of those service websites where you throw up what you want and people quote on it, but just like those sites I could really only expect 400 replies from Indian or Chinese builders who'd promise a cabinet made of oak build it from straw and then offer their services for $2 a hour to undercut everyone.

So it looks like I found my buffet builder.

Sent out a shitload of emails over the weekend, got 5 responses, prices ranged from $4500 to $7000 and not one of those who responded was willing to make the cabinet as I wanted. They all had excuses as to why they couldn't use solid timber all round, they had excuses why they couldn't do 45 degree angled joints, one was even happy to tell me they would have to cut the warranty from 10 years to 12 months if I didn't use veneers. Coming from a family of cabinet makers and builders I know bullshit when I hear it and if I miss it it doesn't take me long to find someone who can find it.

Purely by chance I went into what I thought was a 'cheap imported' furniture shop yesterday, found out they do build stuff, actually spoke to the guy who builds the stuff, saw his workshop, saw his work and work in progress and confirmed he would build it exactly as I wanted it with the timber I want and the design and he came in at a reasonable price.

So once again fcuk the city and their city prices I'm staying local, if only they had a better website I wouldn't have even bothered to visit/email the city makers.

So it looks like I found my buffet builder.

Sent out a shitload of emails over the weekend, got 5 responses, prices ranged from $4500 to $7000 and not one of those who responded was willing to make the cabinet as I wanted. They all had excuses as to why they couldn't use solid timber all round, they had excuses why they couldn't do 45 degree angled joints, one was even happy to tell me they would have to cut the warranty from 10 years to 12 months if I didn't use veneers. Coming from a family of cabinet makers and builders I know bullshit when I hear it and if I miss it it doesn't take me long to find someone who can find it.

Purely by chance I went into what I thought was a 'cheap imported' furniture shop yesterday, found out they do build stuff, actually spoke to the guy who builds the stuff, saw his workshop, saw his work and work in progress and confirmed he would build it exactly as I wanted it with the timber I want and the design and he came in at a reasonable price.

So once again fcuk the city and their city prices I'm staying local, if only they had a better website I wouldn't have even bothered to visit/email the city makers.

Yes this is true! - hence I want to get out of Sydney but work won't let me!

To be fair there are bastards in the country as there are bastards in the city, some industries/business in the country are bigger bastards than city dwellers because they think country people will pay a premium but it does seem easier to weed out the bastards in the country....you just have to be able to find the people who do the service you want.

To be fair there are bastards in the country as there are bastards in the city, some industries/business in the country are bigger bastards than city dwellers because they think country people will pay a premium but it does seem easier to weed out the bastards in the country....you just have to be able to find the people who do the service you want.

Fuel springs to mind, oh its transport cost

Latest posts

Back