Nissan to enter V8SC in 2013

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I thought that had already been posted here, although with all the questions about what engine Nissan will drag out of the attic it's worth posting more than once anyway.

its known as V8 supercars because its the best Australia has to offer...
nissan isnt Aussie,,
they let them race 4s,6s and V12 before, so why not now?
as long as the power output is similar who cares how many cylinders you have.

I would contend that a 5.3L V12 could easily shit all over a 5.8L V8.

Turbocharged engines have lag issues but probably won't pit for fuel as frequently.

Having the same engines with the same consumption rates and power outputs means that the race doesn't come down to how much money you can throw at the car, it comes down to how good the driver is.

At least, that is how I interpret the original intention.

It basically changes V8SC from a race between manufacturers and drivers, to something like the Porsche Cup.

Funny, Jimmy Richards was shitting all over the V8s in his Nissan, and he was doing the same thing in the Porsches. Says something about the gentleman, eh?

The race comes down to the driver and the teams in the pits that's the main reason they have introduced mandatory pit stops and pit stops where different tasks have to be done. Sure 888 have a lot of money and can afford good drivers and a lot of research but their success hasn't all been because they had money where as in yerhs gone by before the controlled builds more money always meant more success.

So, what does it all mean?

Put simply, the 'DNA' of V8 Supercar racing will not change from 2013 when this new generation of cars takes over from the Falcons and Commodores that currently make up the grid.

The cars will still feature V8 engines:redcool:, rear-wheel drive and four doors

:rock::rock::rock:

My 1977 XJS didn't seem to have a problem staying ahead of the 351 Falcons. I doubt that someone in a lowered Falcon, having been shat on by a Jaguar, would resist at the next set of lights ... and they didn't ... and yet they still remained in my rear view mirror.

Maybe the 5.8s up this way were all detuned?

Upon checking the stats, the 5.3L V12 put out 295hp and the 5.8L V8 put out 290hp.

The rest must have been aerodynamics and reaction time.

can you also display the rear wheel sizes/dia's, gearbox ratio's, and final drive specs of both vehicles,

cause a quoted 5hp increase doesn't equate to a "could easily shit all over", off the line.

You'd be right. I think the Jag was geared better too. Lots of variables involved!

But on the subject of Jags, I think it was Tom Walkinshaw that had a couple in the Hardie Ferodo 1000 and they were rather dominating.

Back on topic, I'm undecided whether a control car is a good thing, but then I don't mind the touring car races either - I'm not a purist! My wife tried talking me into putting a car into the Australian Production Car races - I would have loved to, but I'm getting a bit old for that, and I really don't need to waste the money when I'm looking at retirement soon.

So I'm not swayed either way yet - I'd guess that Nissan will have to run control gear. As you've absolutely hit the nail on the head with the difference between Jag & Falcon, a V6 turbo will be different to the V8s even if the peak power is capped.

I bet they run control diffs, wheels, gearboxes AND engines.

I hope its not a old pushrod heap of junk.

If it is, I ain't watching.

Ohhh, but Dave there is future for that old dinosaur heap of junk...and its factory as well...

ZR1
ENGINE LS9 6.2L supercharged V8
TYPE 90-degree pushrod, 16-valve V8, aluminum block
and heads, hydraulic lifters with dry-sump oil system
BORE AND STROKE 4.06 x 3.62 COMPRESSION RATIO 9.1:1
HORSEPOWER 638 @ 6500 rpm
TORQUE 604 lb.-ft. @ 3800 rpm
Aluminum frame with fixed-roof structure
Visible carbon-fiber roof, rockers, splitter and painted carbon fiber
Brembo® carbon-ceramic brakes
Head-Up Display

http://www.chevrolet.com/corvette-zr1-sports-car/