What to Ask When Buying New?

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
See an had you accepted any of it you'd have been one of the few in the "unhappy" owners list :big_smile:

You should also consider getting the dealer to quote on any after market gear you plan to get fitted. I put on a number of ARB items and even with trade price their buy price passed on to me saved heaps. Still got ARB to supply and fit it all but paid for it with the car. I bundled all these things and got a great deal for cash (cheque) as well as rust proofing, tinted windows, paint and interior protection at about half retail. I am a repeat customer, which may have helped, but had a great salesman as well.

Cheers, db.

Great feedback all!

OK - I am meeting with the dealer tomorrow PM to lay down a foundation for a deposit next Wednesday with the D40 arriving just before XMAS (so they say)...

Their drive away price is $48,400, metalic black paint, soft torneau rear cover and a tub liner. I said I want a better deal and they are happy to talk still.

Your thoughts on this price, and what would be a realistic price I should drive it down to - without any extra goodies (at this stage)?

They quoted $350 extra for window tint, which I want.

I am also wanting an ARB towbar (maximum towing weight of 3t).

Grunt

I walked in an said, I want a d40 white, manual, st, hard cover and a good price if I can drive away today I'll take it.
He came back with a price and asked if there was anything else that's when I said trade in on my xr8 I want 16k for it.
At the end of a slow month they came to the party and 3 days later drive off a poor man :) and couldn't be happier!

Great stuff Mike.

Your thoughts on the white paint work vs say a darker colour like black?

Grunt

Grunt said:
Great stuff Mike.

Your thoughts on the white paint work vs say a darker colour like black?

Grunt

I chose white because it's easier to keep looking clean and free scratches 4wding give you for show up as much.
Not to mention most accessories are black.

I think mine needs a good polish and wax because the paint looks quite dull. Almost like the detailer at the dealer hasn't properly cleaned the protective wax it's shipped with...
Something I'll bring up at the next service

Great feedback all!

OK - I am meeting with the dealer tomorrow PM to lay down a foundation for a deposit next Wednesday with the D40 arriving just before XMAS (so they say)...

Their drive away price is $48,400, metalic black paint, soft torneau rear cover and a tub liner. I said I want a better deal and they are happy to talk still.

Your thoughts on this price, and what would be a realistic price I should drive it down to - without any extra goodies (at this stage)?

They quoted $350 extra for window tint, which I want.

I am also wanting an ARB towbar (maximum towing weight of 3t).

Grunt

I'm hoping mine arrives before christmas too.
I got soft tonneau cover, tub liner and towbar for $47000 no trade in. I rang a few dealerships and some said they won't go that low, but i remember Liverpool Nissan over the phone quoted me only $600 more. So there is still room to move for you. Don't forget your free floor mats :)
At the end of the day prices will vary but it all comes down to a price that you are happy with paying.

Wade - that's a great deal!

OK - I met the dealer today.

They would not budge on price. :-(

They said this is the only DT40 STX arriving in WA off the boat before March / April next year.

I have asked other dealers in WA and this statement does check out.

They stated it would arrive before XMAS.

What I am curious about is this: Why is only one vehicle being delivered to the whole of WA?

Perhaps I should wait for the 2012 model??

What are your thoughts?

Grunt

Nav's have been "hard to get" for ages now, the CEO of Nissan claimed a few weeks back if he could get 1000 more Nav's a month he could sell them but the manufacturing plants just aren't providing the numbers. Now whether that's entirely true or not is anyone's guess but when I brought mine in 09 they claimed the lack of stock was due to the GFC. At the end of the day you can only take what they say and decide if your happy with it.

I don't believe the wait will improve greatly in 2012 no matter what they do to the models but my bet is is you found one currently on the ground somewhere rather than getting one off the boat you'd be able to bargain a lot better. A car on the ground is money wasting to the dealer, a car on the boat is money in the bank.

Thanks KraftyPg.

Very insightful comments.

But, why just the single unit being shipped???

So, the obvious question - why are these units so popular (and hence "hard to get") in it's class?

Grunt

You'll never know if there is only 1, but if there is it could be that the same boat has 5 Trol's, 3 Dualis, etc and there is only room for 1 D40. Or that there is 10 D40's on board but all the rest are "sold" and not just going to yards as stock.

I don't believe it's a case of popular, not saying Nav's aren't popular to some degree but the Nissan plants have always had a reputation for not producing the number of cars they can sell worldwide and with things like the Japanese Tsunami etc it's not hard to blame many different factors.

Thanks KraftyPg

OK - we'll do the deal and lay a deposit down within the week.

What is the maximum speed for runin and for how many kms?

I know this info will all be in the manual, but we trying to plan our XMAS holidays now, and the Navara has a big roll to play in what we do and where we go...

I don't plan to do any bush bashing for the first 2000kms.

All we'll be doing is driving hwy stuff over the XMAS break...

Grunt

Keep it under 150kph and don't drag three tonnes for the first 1000ks and that's pretty much it.

Some quote a magical "loosening" figure where diesels loosen up but I believe that is not very beneficial to all people given that there is no exact figure that happens and some people drive expecting things to change and they notice nothing and feel let down. All engines loosen up over time, you may notice some improvements over that time you may not but if it happens be pleasantly surprised.

thanks again.

yeah - definitely no towing during this period.

Your thouhgts on the metalic black paint choice over other colours?

Grunt

Some say no towing but I wouldn't be too worried if the load is light, a standard box trailer would hardly be an issue but 3 tonnes on the arse might be a different story.

My thoughts are go with the colour you want and don't let others tell you any different. I've had black cars, gold cars, red cars, blue cars and silver cars and liked all of them, go with what you like and then you'll never be wondering if your choice is better than what you were talked into.

Good points..

OK - here is the planned usage for the vehicle:

80% - Wife will be using it for onroad duties to cart the daughter to/from school, shopping and to cart her mother with mobile disabilities (with carting the wheel chair in the rear)...

20% - I will use it for towing my 1.2t boat and motorbike trailer with 2 bikes attached.

for the time I go off road, it will not be in deep bush, and will stop before I hit scratchy scrub stuff..

Grunt

1.2 tonne I'd barely worry about in the first 1000ks myself, especially as it;s a boat and not on all the time, but it's the sort of thing Nissan suggest isn't right, but that is only to protect themselves.

I don't know what people complain about with car paint and scratches, my utes had a solid week of cows licking it and rubbing their mud and shit covered hides against it and so far apart from the dirt the paint isn't scratched and scored like some people suggest has happened to theirs from bush pin stripping. But then again maybe I am just a little less precious with my car that some people are.

I had lots of issues when i first signed up for my car with stock (what they promised) and then ended up with ohh we don't have that colour any more.
I spoke to dealers all through out the NSW and even called VIC and QLD to check and Nissan Australia. Nissan Aust said that not all dealers have full access to the stock list that is arriving (something to do with controlling colours etc that dealers get but thats another story)

I originally wanted black and was told that there are no blacks available (after research he really meant none in NSW) There were plenty in other states.

I almost bought from a dealer in QLD who was only $700 more on the purchase price just so i could have it now. But adding in flights etc would have made it over $1000 more just because i'm impatient haha.

He was really helpful and was willing to rego the vehicle as NSW and could organise a dealership in Sydney to give me the free first service.

Have you thought about buying interstate?

Latest posts

Back