What to Ask When Buying New?

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Grunt

Reaction score
Greetings all.

Besides a reduction in price, what 'sweetners' should I be asking from a dealer if I buy a brand new 2011 ST-X D40 Auto 2.5D?

And, is this vehicle a FWD or RWD?

And, what is the factory soft torneau cover like? (Durability, functionality, etc)

Grunt

Last edited:
Welcome to the forum.

Maybe you could ask for rubber mats or something.

It's normally a rear wheel drive and you can engage 4WD high range or low range when you are on surfaces that don't provide a lot of traction (don't drive these cars on hard surfaces in 4WD mode - destroys transfer chains).

The soft tonneau cover works. Didn't do it for me, we went for a canopy so that we had a little security and height and now that we haul our fridge around in it, that decision has paid off, but I can't put bikes in there, or anything that's TOO tall.

Welcome to the forums.

What to ask for depends on what you have to offer them. No trade in often means less room for bargaining, but everything comes at a cost. Most dealers are happy to get rid of a tank of fuel and a set of floor mats but when it comes to things like driving lights etc they over price things so dramatically that they prefer to offer you a discounted price, still make a fortune but make you think you got a bargain. With limited bargaining power you'll get very little as a sweetener.

depends on what things you want added on the vehicle mate and as above what you have to offer them i got my d22 a few months back and i got them down a few grand and rust protection window tint and keyless entry as wasnt standard for a few thou less then advertised, do research on prices of things you want before you go in and compare with what they want to charge you i got my roof racks and snorkel cheaper genuine then aftermarket

Thanks for your sentiments.

I am an avid Forum user elsewhere for my other pursuits and this Forum looks really good on first impressions, and look forward to the participation.

This will be a straight out cash deal without any finance.

Is my bargaining power enhanced by this?

What reduction in price should I expect when offering cash?

I will be selling my cars privately, so no trade-ins will occur.

What standard is the factory window tint? (acceptable?)

Grunt

Last edited:
"How do I get to the Toyota dealership?"

"I see that the Navara D22 shares the same headlights and interior trim as the Great Wall. What else have you lot pinched from it?"

I could go on

Some will say cash is the only way to deal but when it comes to cars I reckon cash is worth very little. Take into account the dealer probably doesn't wash cash sitting around and they often suggest a bank cheque anyway so therefore cash means less to them than it would to someone like me selling computers.

i understand.

A bank cheque will do.

Thanks Aido - Will pop by your blogspot.

Grunt

grunt depends on deals going at the time and how much a dealer really wants to sell you the car to how far down they will come and how badly you want the car to how much your willing to spend, i think my window tint isnt to bad have had aftermarket on previous cars and the application is pretty good not quite as dark as i would like but for not costing me any extra its good enough

Use discount new cars dot com or somthing like that for starters. Do your homework. Walk in with a genuine, less expensive quote from a dealer eslwhere. No matter how far away that may be, but be nice, be engauging.
A quick sale is a good sale even if they do loose a bit of fat on it.
Although a cash sale is probably means nothing to them financialy, the fact it can make the sale quick is good.
As far as trade ins go. If the car is less than 5 or 6 years old it may help as the can probably plonk it straight on there lot with a detail. If older its basicaly a liability for them you just get a dealer wholesale price why would they pay you anymore.
I hope the torneua is good thing as I have orderd one for mine. I am a little perplexd at why people use a canopy on a ute. Why not buy a Parthfinder instead.

BravoBrad said:
so you don't hear all the rattles of all your tools, or smell the fumes from the fuel being carried.

Or smell the dead animal you just shot that you're taking back to camp for dinner?

Thanks people.

Perhaps I can ask them to throw in the additional 3 year Nissan warranty (on top of the standard 3 year warranty).....?

Grunt

With the things you have to adhere to for the "extra" warranty I don't believe it's worth it for me but as Joe says if it's what you want go for it.

All extras they have in the shop including the warranty is where they make the profit, $700 towbars that ARB install for $400, $4000 canopies that you can buy for less than $3000, all these items are jacked up dramatically so that people bargaining think they are getting a good deal when a few dollars are dropped from the price.

As others have said know your price and be realistic, a $1000 item may only be worth $500 but the chances of them dropping it to $500 are slim, be prepared to pay $750 for it and you are more likely to get the deal. You'll get very little for nothing so use the new car buying as power to get a discount on the already overpriced extras and the crap you can't be bothered fitting yourself when you get it home.

There aren't to many unhappy D22 drivers here.

I sometimes just think Aido expected his D22 to have Mercedes quality.

There aren't too many unhappy Navara owners here, there are those who wish they'd brought a D40 but they aren't necessarily unhappy. :sarcastic: The downside of buying a new car of any brand is you have to buy it from a dealership, that's where the troubles start and end.

Do your research.
Find out what things are worth, and drive a had bargain. I actually used ebay as a reference when he was talking prices for tub liner, tonneau cover, tow bar etc. I said you need to be close or i just do it myself from ebay. Surprise he got within about $30. I remember he really liked saying Nissan genuine products all the time haha.
You also need to have a price in your mind that you are happy to pay.

I am waiting to take delivery of mine at the moment. They phoned me on saturday asking if i wanted any extra's to make life easier for me blah blah blah.
$600 window tint
$800 front parking sensors
$1195 front and back parking sensors
$1995 paint protection (my GF bought a car 6 weeks ago and it cost her $800)
$3500 for sat nav 7 inch display (but on sale for this weekend only normally $3950) but if i wanted the reversing camera that would be an extra $330

But if i buy the paint protection they would throw in the front parking sensors or window tint free, hmmm.

I passed on all of it.

Krafty is right. The worst part about buying new is having to buy it from a dealership.

Latest posts

Back