Newcastle

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Tagging along to Coopernook isn't a problem at all. There's plenty of space there, usually a small handful of grey nomads but with it being smack in the middle of winter they might stay away. There is a flushing toilet (septic system) on site as well and I have seen signs of campfires on the ground. The area is flat but slopes from south down to north at about a 1 in 30 or so gradient - quite pleasant enough to set up pretty much anywhere. I don't know how much actual 4WDing you can do there. It's about 3.5 hours from Newcastle at a steady pace towing. There are several rest areas and a service centre not far out of Taree that can take large rigs - even has a Mc Donalds and a KFC just in case you got the munchies.

Polblue is National Park - not only that, it's World Heritage listed. The last person to roam around there with a gun was Malcolm Naden. so if you want to know where the best game is, stop by Goulburn and find out. You can ring the number I provided and ask the ranger if the road is closed, or if they have any intention of closing the road.

Telegherry Forest Park is about half an hour north of Dungog. About 15km of sealed road followed by about 20km of dirt - turn off Chichester Dam Road onto Wangat Trig Road, follow the road past Skimmings Gap Road and take the next right (Middle Road), follow this down over the ford beyond the day picnic area and take the path to the right through the gate into the free camp area. Dungog itself is about an hour and a bit north of Newcastle (76km) - best route is via Raymond Terrace/Seaham/Clarencetown.

I spent most of my life around the myall lakes national park (4wd & water skiing) but most of that's closed now :(
Had a look at coopernook on the map, there are 4 state forest around it, so there would have too be some tracks there.
What you's think?

Im keen to go anywhere really. Coopernook seems like it could be good. Need to ease wifey into the camping stuff slowly, so the idea of a flushing toilet might be irresistable for her at this stage. State forests usually do have quite a bit of 4x4 in them, just gotta go looking for tracks.

Dont worry Tony, im not going to go shooting skippy in the National park... And besides, i let my licence expire and all our firearms were sold. (except for the 12 guage that is buried somewhere, but the old man wont tell me where it is).

coopernook doesnt provide any decent tracks that i know of
please correct me if ime wrong
tracey,joel and i are keen for an o/night, have a yarn around the fire and if we find any tracks thats a bonus
some times its more about just getting away for the night
i am going for a sniff around mandalong tomorrow
promised the boy we would go get dirty
any one keen
EDIT
just got back and i found some wild tracks
some too extreme to do on your own
one that drops off behind sugarloaf dam is a handfull

Last edited:
Well, we're going to Coopernook regardless, because for us it's all about the night (or two) away. The little guy comes with us now so we're planning to hitch up a lot more often again.

Ya shoulda came with me yesterday brad,plenty of winchinf and the high lift even got a workout,and I damaged her again ,oohh well

I ripped my sunshade on a tree,only way out, ime takin the chainsaw next time

Last edited:
That looks like the spot from the SW. but if you come in from the town[SE cnr) (do not go off the road edge), you will not see it that way. There are directions on the forum somewhere.

That's the place. Here's a Google Map. At the bottom of the map is a railway overbridge, at the top left of centre is the campground. The road that runs almost vertically through the middle is NOT the path to take - that's Short Cut Rd, and when I went to look at it (some time ago) it was fairly overgrown.

The road around that - zoom in to see the name, it's Bangalow Rd - is the road to take. Nice and wide and clear and last time full of potholes.

To get to that railway bridge, go to Coopernook and find Bangalow Rd. It's sealed at the start and becomes graded (cratered?) after a short way.

There is another path in, but this is the one that I know.

So, when are we heading up there?
I finish work on wednesday morning, but obviously not everyone will be off then.

Blacknav, cyclon and morticus are you guys coming? anyone else?

The only thing that may stop us is o/time at work
Can't knock it back if I want my front lokka
We plan on leavin sat 10ish if we go

So, when are we heading up there?
I finish work on wednesday morning, but obviously not everyone will be off then.

Blacknav, cyclon and morticus are you guys coming? anyone else?

Sorry we won't make it this time guys, misses is unwell and I have a lot going on at the moment.

As I said before, we're going to Broke this weekend just so that we can be out somewhere. Coopernook is 7th/8th of July. Have some setting up to do for that one, because on the 6th we're getting new suspension fitted all round, including a 40mm lift. I'll have to re-work the weight distribution hitch to adjust for the new height, so I don't know if I'll be up there on the Friday night (6th) or go early Saturday morning.

If its 7th 8th of July, i might be in. Just gotta work out if an extra tank of fuel will be in the budget.

Sorry fellas but I'm out.. The wife and I are heading away the following weekend and with the cash I've spent on the navara I can't afford to go away twice in 2 weeks. Sorry guys will deff be there for the next overnighter

Latest posts

Back