YD25: is it really a dog?

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Good day all. I came on here looking for info on whether the YD25 engine in the D40s are easy to work on or not. I've been reading about mechanics having to remove loads and loads of components on other makes to change timing chains and what not.
I've started tinkering with mine and it's been no harder or easier than any other Japanese / Asian designed engine.

For comparison, I've had to do some extensive work on an Audi / VW TDI engine... I'd rather re-build a YD25 using just my bare fingers straight after A 3000km drive.

Also, I'm on 290k and timing chain has been fine (knock on wood)

I've started tinkering with mine and it's been no harder or easier than any other Japanese / Asian designed engine.

For comparison, I've had to do some extensive work on an Audi / VW TDI engine... I'd rather re-build a YD25 using just my bare fingers straight after A 3000km drive.

Also, I'm on 290k and timing chain has been fine (knock on wood)
That's encouraging to hear. Thanks for taking the time to respond.

Mine blew at over 300,000km (not a typical experience) and I put a new engine in it as it was the cheapest way to get an equivalent vehicle with a low-mileage powertrain.
Since getting the new engine I've been doing more maintenance myself and for what it's worth, I don't think it's particularly hard to work on.
The timing chain will require some work but I've done timing chains and belts on other engines (mostly belts) and they have taken as much time, effort, and expense, if not more.
Bear in mind that the YD25 timing chain might have to be replaced once during the life of the vehicle but a timing belt is a regular 100,000km service item for most similar engines.

My 2014 has 123500 km, and runs perfect, like with all vehicles proper care and maintenance is the key. You need to compare apples with apples.
Yes, mine is the same. I have it set up for remote area travel & have full confidence in it getting me to where I want go & then getting me home again.

Good day all. I came on here looking for info on whether the YD25 engine in the D40s are easy to work on or not. I've been reading about mechanics having to remove loads and loads of components on other makes to change timing chains and what not.
My experience, there is a plastic radiator fitting against the firewall that fails, let's all the water go and overheats the engine, result cracks the head. Cost $6,500 or more to fix. I had this happen to me.
Timing chain, my truck mechanic says manual y25 chains fail usually before 200,000 klms. Apparently the mass flywheel at idle causes a whiplash in the chain which slowly destroys it. He said he has never seen an automatic transmission chain fail

My experience, there is a plastic radiator fitting against the firewall that fails, let's all the water go and overheats the engine, result cracks the head. Cost $6,500 or more to fix. I had this happen to me.
Timing chain, my truck mechanic says manual y25 chains fail usually before 200,000 klms. Apparently the mass flywheel at idle causes a whiplash in the chain which slowly destroys it. He said he has never seen an automatic transmission chain fail
I concur. My 2005 YD25ddti engine R51M (automatic) failed at 420000 kms due to a pinhole in a heater hose, which in turn busted the turbo and shot the block (the headgasket blew between cylinders 2 and 3 and the heat of the combustion ruined the surface of the block, engine to old to repair so i'm replacing with a 2013 D40...with challenges). Never had, ever, a chain issue. Replaced it at 250000 kms only and because one of the plastic guides was rattling. Besides the 2506GT Garret Turbo being somewhat and objectively a bad unit the engine istelf never gave me any issues. Oh and the RE05 TCM I had to repair too but that's besides the point.

That's very useful info. Sorry you had to experience such an expensive engine failure. I'll look into changing out that plastic fitting with a metal one. Thanks for the info.

1) where abouts specifically is this fitting? is it a heater hose going through the firewall?

2) the bit about a manual vs auto transmission makes sense

Latest posts

Back