Where is it from????

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi all out there,
We have a 2009 d40 diesel auto, how do I tell if it was built in Spain or Thailand??? What is the difference??? The reason I ask is that today while shopping around for bull bars and rear bars I was asked as there were different bull bars for the two build locations....... Very confused....
Thank you in advance for your responses
Craig

Welcome to the forum, Craig.

On the windscreen (and your rego papers) you should be able to find the VIN - if it starts with VSK it's Spanish, if it starts with MNT it's a Thai build.

STX Dual Cabs from 2009 were all Spanish. The ST model (2010) dual cab was a Thai build, but the ST and STX dual cabs are all going to be built in Spain from 2012 onwards, the ST will be the 4cyl diesel & V6 petrol, while the STX will be the V6 diesel.

My stx 07 d40 auto(spain) ,motor has blown..will a thai 2011 work with the spain management system etc.
Are the power outputs the same??
Thankyou in advance

Last edited:
Welcome to the forum, Decan.

The Thai engine actually puts out 12kW more power (140kW compared to the 2007's 128kW).

I've no idea if they are interchangeable. Apart from different chassis widths, the 2011 Thai motor uses a different actuator mechanism on the turbo and may control it differently from the ECU. The Thai engine won't have or use a DPF like yours has - they removed the DPFs in 2010. I don't know if the DPF-vehicles' exhaust meet the turbo outlet at the same point as the non-DPF'd.

There may be other differences - some that don't matter, like alternator output levels - that I can't think of at the moment.

All that said, it doesn't mean it's insurmountable to fit one.

Thai Spain??

Thanx Old Tony,
You seem well knowledged in this area(be it such a word).
12kw...might be a good thing..wonder if the Nm figures changed??
Is there anything you know of that may be worth adressing with this motor should it pan out upon fitting.Ive heard the 2010 Thai had actuator mech problems(mine 2011)...If the ecu set up to drive the original actuator ,wonder if it,s possible to use the original actuator from blown motor.Or just thinking now sourcing the chip ???
With all this said the Thai car must have been bought here originally wouldnt it be so ..isnt the DPF thing a legal bit..for emmission control

My stx 07 d40 auto(spain) ,motor has blown..will a thai 2011 work with the spain management system etc.
Are the power outputs the same??
Thankyou in advance
First of all Weclome to the forum mate.
Now- That is a fairly late model Nav to have a "blown" engine. Have the pistons picked up on the bore and journals ceazed or has it grenaded?
What happend if you don't mind me asking?

I'm interested in what happened to the engine too, so I'll wait for that answer!

You might have to use the older actuator. The Thai-built actuator problems seem to be confined to the 2010 models, but controlling the actuator may be different.

The 2010 model does have more torque (I think it's 420Nm vs 402, so 18Nm more). In reality that's going to be barely noticeable.

The ECUs are going to be an issue. Tuning of the motor (injection timing in particular) change from 2009 to 2010 and because of the better tuning, they excluded the DPF - it wasn't necessary.

If you put the Thai model engine in under a Spanish ECU you might have some issues. I think these will be more in the turbo area than injectors - I think the Thai ECU probably handles injector timing a little better.

It will be interesting to watch this one.

Latest posts

Back