UHF power

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

maho

Reaction score
Hey Guys,

I just picked myself up a new UHF for 2010 ST, now to install it.

Question is- what's to the best/easiest way of picking up power for the unit?

Cheers guys,

Maho

Straight to the battery. The reason being that if you ever have an issue with the electrics you will always have power to the UHF, it's a safety thing and just may let you radio for help

Straight to the battery. The reason being that if you ever have an issue with the electrics you will always have power to the UHF, it's a safety thing and just may let you radio for help

Both the lighter and straight to battery are fine - it's a preference thing. BTW, in an emergency situation you can always pull the radio & battery out, then carry them to a high point to make a call if needs be.

Both the lighter and straight to battery are fine - it's a preference thing. BTW, in an emergency situation you can always pull the radio & battery out, then carry them to a high point to make a call if needs be.

Yeah that's just what I would love to do while the car is in the middle of a river or on its roof
But like you said, each to there own.

I agree with straight to the battery but I go one step further and go straight to the Aux battery. I wont ever be pulling mine out and taking it for a hike to get better reception because to take out the radio, the battery and the antenna is just way too much effort but I can get to the power plug and within seconds wire a feed directly to the main battery if the aux ever fails.

Good point I never thought of that. I connected mine in the cig lighter because I know once the key is out of the ignition, the radio is off and can't flatten my battery

Yeah that's just what I would love to do while the car is in the middle of a river or on its roof

:rofl2: If you find yourself in that situation I'd say you're pretty well stuffed anyway - and you might want to pack a snorkel.

I was more thinking of a mechanical issue that prevented you from reaching decent reception - a short trip up a hill could make the difference.

Last edited:
Good point I never thought of that. I connected mine in the cig lighter because I know once the key is out of the ignition, the radio is off and can't flatten my battery

They don't use that much power but many people choose to do the same as you - I wired mine into the lighter cause I was feeling a bit lazy that day.

An upshot of the direct to battery option is that if you lose your key you can still call help (assuming you haven't locked yourself out).

Most CB's will run for days before flattening the battery, I left mine on for days a time in my old Forrestor and it's battery was not as big as the Nav's.

When not transmitting I'm fairly sure you can measure most CB radios current draw in poofteenths which is a little more than a tad according to scientific measurements.

:rofl2: If you find yourself in that situation I'd say you're pretty well stuffed anyway - and you might want to pack a snorkel.

I was more thinking of a mechanical issue that prevented you from reaching decent reception - a short trip up a hill could make the difference.

The reason i said that is, that i had the ECU in my D22 get wet and everything went, the radio, airbag, headlights, so if that did happened and you were a bit behind your group or you did happen to be on your own(which i know isnt a good idea) a simple mayday call could be very helpful as opposed to a long walk or a long wait.

This was mentioned to me at opposite lock and ARB when i was researching my UHF and i thought it made sense, so im just passing it on.

Personally i dont give a rats how people wire up their UHF, its just how i did mine and thats the reason i decided to do it that way.
I know it works and i know it will always work regardless of the rest of my electric's, and for ME personally thats the easiest and the best way.
After all thats what was asked in the original question.

EEEwwwww do you have rats?

Or are you fresh out and that is why you wont give one?

Everything comes down to a price, there is no commitment without seeing the figures laid on the table first. The figures should be blonde and scantly dressed too.

Im happy with brunettes or blondes, BUT the scantly dressed is a must...... i suppose i would take even less then scantly, but definitely no rangers..:confused3:

Dammit I hear Pauline is out of a job, you might have got her at a cheap rate.

Only if she is wearing that little number she had on in that photo from the scandal a few years back....... bbbbrrrrrr what am i saying :suicide:

Latest posts

Back