Tow bar extension

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ozzie

Reaction score
I origionally set up my dual cab 2007 stx ute to sleep in the back so i could drag my boat and i fitted a extended tray which was ok towing a tinny i now have changed circumstances and have purchesed a new caravan which is approx 2.5 tonne i still want to keep the tray but i need to extend the tow bar 150 mm has anyone any experience with doing this i know it will effect the loading but buy how much i will be fitting a load distribution system also so a extended tongue hitch is out of the picture.

Cheers Ozzie

Welcome to the forum, Ozzie.

The obvious first answer is "if you don't need the extended tray, go back to a normal tray or get a tub". Tubs can be found on eBay when people remove 'em to put trays on, often picked up by people trying to build really cool trailers.

The reasons for the obvious answer are several and serious. Whether or not you have a weight distribution hitch (WDH), putting the caravan on the ball adds 240kg to some point behind the rear axle, adding that weight to the rear suspension and bending the chassis and the hitch mount downwards. The WDH does not remove that weight, it only twists the chassis up at the rear so that the front goes back down. The weight is still on the rear.

Now, think of the distance between the rear axle and the normal position of the towball as a lever. Grab a longer lever - the downward force is multiplied. Your WDH will have to cater for that - I'd guess a Hayman Reese 750 would be the one you'd need, the 500 is not going to do enough.

Add to that, your chassis may not like that much torsion (due to the lever effect). It's something I'd have an engineer look at. Your 2.4T van (new) would cost what, $60K? Having your hitch break and tear free so that the front of your van hits the road and activates the breakaway system is going to be scary. It can be avoided.

I'd not extend the towbar, personally. I think the Navara already suffers from a bit of distance behind the rear axle to the tow point. You'll find that your rear suspension (which is already insufficient for more than about 150kg) is going to be way overloaded and even if it's upgraded, it's going to work a lot harder - again, the extra lever effect.

That said, you haven't indicated how much extension you're talking about. If it's just a little bit forget what I've written and go for it!

there shouldnt be a problem with towbar load distribution but i am not sure what you mean by tow bar extension? you mean get a longer tongue with a towball on it or fully extending the towbar out? cheapest way would be to buy a longer tongue.

Agreed joe2006 they do look quite scary especially the 24" extension, imagine the 42" extension hitch.

If you really want to keep the tray you might want to consider modifying the draw bar - get it all engineered like. Just thinking aloud!

Nakedape
Yah was thinking more along the lines of extending the draw bar only need 150mm this would be stronger than tongue extensions

Cheers Ozzie

Let me go measure my WDH and see how much further it sticks out from the hitch ...

On my normal hitch, there's 150mm from the pin to the ball. On my WDH it's 300mm - so if you get a Hayman Reese weight distribution hitch you'll get the distance you want.

Unless you already have one, and need to extend that ... that might cause some excitement, 450mm from the pin to the ball - that's nearly half a metre.

Joe
Looked at the extended hitches would be a easy solution but i wouldn,t tow a van on one
thanks anyway
Ozzie

Thanks Tony i have not bought a hitch at this stage i will look at the hayman souds like it will solve the problem

Cheers Ozzie

Latest posts

Back