If I was going to rebuild a ZD30 motor with intermediate mechanical experience where should I start?

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Slappy

Reaction score
I've pulled motors down back when I was in Tafe and been tinkering with cars forever but its not something I'm super familiar with.

My Nav has crapped out, still not 100% on the issue but its certainly cooked. Could be piston rings or something like that. Basically either rebuild or new motor and the quote I got for a replacement motor from a wrecker was 8k without any of the extra bits you'd wanna replace when doing a motor. In comparison it looks like I could buy a whole rebuild kit with Pistons and all for around $1500.

I like the car too much to write it off so want to go the rebuild route - so really I'm wondering if there's a "Best" resource for pulling these motors down and putting them back together. Is there a workshop manual that is easier to follow or a good Youtube video anyones followed along before?

Cheers heaps guys.

there is the factory manual around for download.

if its overheated the head will be cracked. most likely need, valves fitted etc. new radiator, water pump etc. i did mine some years back. if you go as far as rings etc then thats like any other engine. only odd thing is getting hold of the balance shaft bearings as nissan do not supply them.

there is the factory manual around for download.

if its overheated the head will be cracked. most likely need, valves fitted etc. new radiator, water pump etc. i did mine some years back. if you go as far as rings etc then thats like any other engine. only odd thing is getting hold of the balance shaft bearings as nissan do not supply them.
Na for sure didn't over heat I've got an in line gauge and was happy as, only drove for 10 minutes before it shit the bed.

I wanna pull it down and have a look but don't really have space to have it laying around until I have the stuff to put it back together too lol

Back