for those running cheapo catch cans - must read....

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tufnav

Reaction score
Hey guys,
Catch cans are a good idea but things to consider when fitting...
Placement is important... mount away from exhaust otherwise caught crankcase oil vapourizes and is possible to get drawn back through engine if not filtered defeating the purpose of installing one.
Non filtered catch cans in my opinion are almost pointless... okay yes they do catch oil but oil vapour still gets past and accumulates in intercooler.
Lesson learnt here is save yourself the trouble later and fit a provent catch can and try mount away from exhaust then all oil/ oil vapour is captured.
Ps. Your opinions are welcome, this is what I have learnt first hand. Removing front mount cooler and cleaning it is unnecessary if correct setup is done from beginning :)

I can agree. I had a provent 200 and sold it and purchased a non filtered smaller unit which fitted in the limited space I had under the bonnet. I used pot scourers as a filter but vapour still gets past. Maybe I have installed the catch can the wrong way and it doesn't get to the scourers first before exiting into the air intake again. I am gonna pull it out and turn it around and see what happens. If it doesn't work ill have to sort out a spot to install a provent item. I may have to install it between the front grill and radiator ad the under bonnet space is nil

Rusty

So home jobby catch cans do work but they don't regulate air pressure like the provent can does which I think is important.
Hey rusty ya gota say those provent 200 are friggen huge ay!
I don't think venting to atmosphere is good either for too reasons.
1 - its polluting...
2 - I think it needs engine vacuum to heap scavenging crankcase ventilation.
These engines breathe heavy and when modded I'm sure need good ventilation to keep internal clean and free from that contamination.
That's my thought anyway... what's your thoughts?

I'd suggest that the catch can is catching part of what would normally go in through the intercooler anyway, so a catch can of any description is better than none at all.

I'm not sure on the vacuum issue. The 'breather' isn't really taking breaths like we do. Hot combustion gas escaping past the piston rings enters the crankcase, pressurising the region and at the same time causing some of the oil to heat up. Once fully hot, this oil can become a vapour (and expanding as most well-behaved materials do as they change state from a liquid to a gas).

So that the oil cap doesn't blow off the top or the dipstick doesn't get shot out like a projectile, they placed a vent on the top of the engine to relieve the pressure. Because this carried oil vapour, they decided to feed it back in to the engine so that it too can be combusted and spat out behind the car where it won't bother the driver any more (just the poor bastard behind, but hey who cares about second place in a race?). There's also some myth about it being an emission control thing but since the world ended 3 days ago I've forgotten if that's real or not.

Provent 200 catch cans are huge. I had one as stated but had no room for it under the bonnet. I purchased a smaller unit from mtq turbo in archerfield. It could be facing the wrong direction which is causing it to still vapour the wrong way even an extra pot scrubber in the can may help it out

Can anyone tell me why I have black soot lookalike in the air intake that dose from the filter to the turbo? I just did a 80 series air box about 300km a go and cleaned it all before I put it in.

I've got the provent in my d22 with dual battery, fits in no problem. Had to get some fittings made up by pirtek to convert the massive hose down to the standard hose on the rocker cover / air filter. I remember a seller on eBay sold them as a kit with plastic fittings, hose etc.

Nearly ALL the machines and trucks I work with pump the blow by out at the bottom of the engine bay.
No recycling through the inter cooler. No pro vent or catch cans .

Yeah but the caught oil vapours in the intercooler once cooled turns back to oil and basically lines the cooler in oil. Long term oil turns acidic and I'm sure alloy doesnt like that to much.

Ok Dave, crankcase does pressurized and exits but pulses flow. Provent helps regulate that flow and venting back to engine helps draw that unwanted mixture out the engine.

I made one of those PVC fellas
the dual chamber with filter (just using pot scrubbers but i would love to get some proper filter.. however im not sure of the type and where to purchase.

As Dave said it doesn't catch all of it but still a significant amount.
there is still a tiny mist that must penetrate, when wiping your finger its still oily but way better than a visual black film of oil.

I think its also important to regularly check and empty, i empty after every tank or 2.

Nearly ALL the machines and trucks I work with pump the blow by out at the bottom of the engine bay.
No recycling through the inter cooler. No pro vent or catch cans .

Some machines and engines are exempt...eg..gensets.

dont know about your machines, but if pollution gear is fitted (like on our nav's) its highly illegal to remove,
not that that stops anyone.

I've got the provent in my d22 with dual battery, fits in no problem. Had to get some fittings made up by pirtek to convert the massive hose down to the standard hose on the rocker cover / air filter. I remember a seller on eBay sold them as a kit with plastic fittings, hose etc.

Glc

Would you mind posting some pictured of where you have yours installed. I may have to pinch your idea as I can't fit anything more under the bonnet unless its mounted near the passenger headlight behind the grill.

Rusty

Some machines and engines are exempt...eg..gensets.

dont know about your machines, but if pollution gear is fitted (like on our nav's) its highly illegal to remove,
not that that stops anyone.

Hyundai 52t excavator, case 5t, Hitachi 20t.
Trucks, Mack, Sterling, etc all from factory.

My lawnmower doesnt have pollution gear either...Like I said... Some engines are exempt. I bet u won't find a passenger vehicle in Australia without pollution gear post pollution ADR's

Latest posts

Back