for those running cheapo catch cans - must read....

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeh, I wonder why the difference.
I first thought when I saw a truck like that, that it must just be old ones. I've since kept an eye out n even late model stuff is like it. Im guessing there are thousands of plant like it.
As you say not the passenger vehicles.
Surely the road trucks n equipment are a significant threat to the environment.

Surely the road trucks n equipment are a significant threat to the environment.

i think you might find a lot are now getting DPF's and CAT's and I saw some special additive for prime mover's the other week at the local Shell roadhouse to do with pollution...cant think of the name atm.

They (big machinery) are not totally immune....I spose even small engine arent totally without poll gear...they all at least have a crankcase vent into the air cleaner..not a 'closed' system but nonetheless a "crankcase ventilation".

True story, the euro five spec stuff is demanding high environmental stds.

i think you might find a lot are now getting DPF's and CAT's and I saw some special additive for prime mover's the other week at the local Shell roadhouse to do with pollution...cant think of the name atm.

They (big machinery) are not totally immune....I spose even small engine arent totally without poll gear...they all at least have a crankcase vent into the air cleaner..not a 'closed' system but nonetheless a "crankcase ventilation".

Is that the "AD BLUE" stuff mate?

I have also made a PVC type with pot scrubbers, it is mounted behind the fuel filter. The scrubbers are wet with oil and the caught oil is in the bottom of the can. It is set up with a dividing wall sealed at the top so the fumes have to come through the scrubbers around the bottom of the wall and off through the outlet. The out let pipe is dry and if I stick my finger down it there is no residue so I figure it must be working OK

Ad Blue is a urea-based hydrocarbon catalyst for the catalytic converter. It's injected into the exhaust itself so that it lands on the CAT and acts as a reductant in removing part of the nitrogen oxides (greenhouse gas) from the exhaust.

It can be found in passenger cars as well, topped up during the service. There's a thread about this somewhere on this forum if people are interested.

My truck runs ad blu.
Current model Volvo fh13 540 hp
It has a 170 litre tank and last me around 5-6000 k's
depending on load weight, trailer config, load dimensions etc
Doesn't blow any smoke whatsoever out the exhaust just a heat haze.
So the stuff obviously works.
Also if I run out the ecu will derate me to about 70% hp.
And will continually come up with a warning on the dash readout.
I carry a 20 ltr emergency container in case I run out in the middle
of nowhere.
It's not carried by a lot of places in the north of Western Australia.
Eg Capricorn road house in Newman has it but only in 20 litre
containers.
Imagine how much fun that was refilling a 170ltr tank.
More and more new trucks are coming out with it so just a matter
of time till it becomes more readily available.

Latest posts

Back