Exhaust brake

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sure was. Temps don't go much over 96-97 when I'm not towing.

That's why I'm interested in an exhaust brake too. When going down hills, all 8 wheels are braking constantly and heating up. After some hills, all I can smell outside are hot brakes.

mines never gone higher (not towing)than 91 on a hot day, AC on, 2 teens and mum, with a full tub.

mines never gone higher (not towing)than 91 on a hot day, AC on, 2 teens and mum, with a full tub.

You might be lighter, and the D22 tune is different as well. We're about 2500kg empty (plus me), with all the stuff bolted on. Normally my coolant sits around 91C - has done ever since I've been able to monitor it, anyway (quite a few thousand km).

The manual would seem to indicate that my operating temps are reasonable, so maybe the D40 just runs hotter?

You might be lighter, and the D22 tune is different as well. We're about 2500kg empty (plus me), with all the stuff bolted on. Normally my coolant sits around 91C - has done ever since I've been able to monitor it, anyway (quite a few thousand km).

The manual would seem to indicate that my operating temps are reasonable, so maybe the D40 just runs hotter?

yeah certainly the '40 is tuned a bit higher, your engine bays are full and have less circulation, and in hill/up gradients / towing/ high rpm etc, the converter is prolly not locked up a lot of the time.

The TCC unlocks at the drop of a hat when towing. Trying to maintain speed on a slight incline at speeds under 120km/h and the thing unlocks quickly.

However, at 125km/h or more (remember, with the caravan on the back) the TCC was quite reluctant to unlock. I don't recall coolant temps then - and I'm not about to tow the van back to NT to take a quick look. But it was quite startling at how much more solid the TCC behaved at over 120km/h.

And pulling 1.8T of double-axle full-height van at that speed we used 17LPHK - which is fairly average for hilly ground, and about 1.5LPHK more than towing on flat @ 95km/h.

I fear an issue with the exhaust brake anyway. Not having driven a truck in decades (I only did a few short runs in a Volvo 16sp semi) I don't have any memory of how the exhaust brakes work in relation to gear selection etc - and thus can't predict how the TCC might play a part in helping engine braking to occur.

But I'd guess that if I could select a gear and engage the exhaust brake which automatically locked the TCC (and restricted the throttle control to zero) we'd be on a winner.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back