Exhaust brake

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dibs

Reaction score
just wondering why they dont fit exhaust brakes to diesel utes

i have a 06 navara without 1
and a 98 nissan condor it has 1 and shit it saves on brakes

your thoughts

dibs

nissan condor....mid sized truck.

trucks need them for running costs, high loading etc. utes don't often carry big loads and the biggy is simply cost. its not just the valving but the changes to the emissions system.
nissan are skimping on lockable hubs etc already.
then theres the problems caused by idiot drivers misusing it.

otherwise fit an aftermarket one if you wish. just remember to block the egr off.

I have wondered if it was possable to fit one to a navara? Would it help when 4x4ing at all? as in slow you down even more when in low range without using the normal brakes

Had never really thought about this, but it does seem like it could be a good idea.

Mitch

I'd find one handy on those long downhills like Mt Ousley, or the Alpine Road, with the caravan on the back. Even the Blue Mountains or crossing the Great Dividing Range west of Denman there are hills I'd appreciate being able to let go of the brake to give the pads a rest.

As it happens, I found this video on Youtube that shows how it's done - and they do it on an auto, so that question is answered as well. I might look into one for my Navara.

[YT]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tqegu2YKeKY[/YT]

easy enough to fit. just remember to block off the egr otherwise you may not be able to get motor going again as all the air going through the motor is displaced with exhaust gas.

second best break saver around i recon only thing that beats it is jake brake . i love em some guys recon there a waist of time but if i can come down of maleny hill loaded without using my brakes there fine by me .
lol i can just see all these utes running round burbling exhaust brakes up to stop lights

dibs

its only the jake brakes that makes the noise. exhaust brakes are very quiet, usually just hiss a bit.

na equipt havnt got 1 just cometing on how good they are my old dimond t had one and the t line had 1 . i could just imagine how much it would cost for a jake in a nissan would be if it could be done lol
dibs

i know exhaust brakes are sort of quiet till you touch the go peddle then its just a hiss i was only commenting on there efficiency . i had a mechanic say why bother with exhaust brakes but if it saves me on wear and tare i love em .imagine the savings on rotors and pads on a ute.

heres another 1 for the tinkerers
a magnetic retarder on the tail shaft .
or like an alison auto they have hydraulic retarders built onto the back of the box. scrapers and dump trucks have them and my acco has one so its passable

my condor will lock the rear wheels in the wet empty can be scary sometimes

i will be fitting one when my warranty runs out as im pulling a 5 wheeler and i know what it will save but i could imagine the comments from behind thinking my brake lights don't work hehe

dibs

on a D40 saving the brakes would be extremely worth while. would save some decent $$$$.

i had a mechanic say why bother with exhaust brakes but if it saves me on wear and tare i love em .imagine the savings on rotors and pads on a ute.

Plus exhaust brakes don't overheat on long descents when fully loaded.

Not much point if you live in a flat area I guess.

I wonder - since ChipIt do already manufacture stuff for the D40 - if they'd be able to incorporate an exhaust brake into either the dump pipe, or the DPF delete pipe. I think the dump pipe would make more sense.

Interesting, last night coming down a steepish hill full of passengers, D40 08 auto, O/drive on and backed off, touched the brake and it seemed to apply an unusual amount of engine brake. Didn't notice an auto downward gear change. Not noticed b4

Latest posts

Back