40,000K Service = $800!

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sounds about what nissan charges. Was this quoted by them or by your own mechanic?

Yeah last time I was at Nissan my dealer wanted over $1100 for the 40K. $800 is a bit more reasonable if you can't do it yourself.

Yeah I rang a local Nissan dealer.
I admit I do keep my head in the sand with new cars and stuff, but I thought the days of big dollar services were over?
I'm gonna look at supplying the filters and etc's and see if I can arrange something. That's way more than I was expecting.

Well considering most mechs charge in excess of $100 per hour and then all those other fees for removing waste etc $800 is probably reasonable for someone with overheads because although it's an easy enough job the 40K is still a time consuming job.

Realistically unless you have requirements that your mechanic can't fulfill when it comes to parts there is little savings to be made by buying your own parts. The parts bill for the 40K would be maybe $100 (including my DPF oil I think mine was $115) but you still have to buy those parts to provide the mech with, add in your time, your effort and the price of those parts and you might find it just as easy to let the mech do what you pay him to do.

As for big dollar servicing being over, I'd say it's only ever going to get worse. We are constantly reminded that diesels cost more to service than petrol car so the saving at the bowser is often negated by servicing costs, and even dealer mechs have to make money so even though they charge a premium for their so called "specific" knowledge the idea is still to make money and the only way they can do that is by charging higher amounts for servicing in the hope some people keep coming back to them.

If you got quoted $800 and you can't do the job yourself I'd say sign on the dotted line before they change their mind a quick search of this forum will show a number of people who were quoted a lot more for a D40 40K service.

Anyone know how long the 40K service is supposed to take?
If it supposed to take 6hours, then $800 is cheap.

6hrs are they doing an engine rebuild? Use to take me five hours to remove refit and strip motor in my rx7. it has more electronics and pollution gear than a dirty nav lol.
What is involved in a 40k service on a d40 out of curiousity

I have no idea how long it takes or what's involved, that's what I'm asking about. If it takes 6 hours, $800 would be cheap. 2 hours and I'd wonder what I spent my money on.

And don't pay one cent more.

Sorry about the quality too.
It's off their website easy enough to find

Attachments

• image-1351491530.jpg
    image-1351491530.jpg
    73 KB · Views: 380
Took me and the mate about 2-2.5 hours, and the basics from memory are drop the oil, replace the filter, replace the air filter (which it doesn't need every 10K anyway), replace the rear diff oil, replace the brake fluid and do all the usual checks and tightens. I can't remember what it says about the manual transmission but the auto is check only at 40 and so is the coolant.

One of the member here once linked to their bill showing their mechs labour at $175 per hour so even the 2.5 hours the mate and I spent is over $400 in labour going by those prices. But at the end of the day you'll believe what you want and go to who you want and the prices will very according to that. Nissan will always be dearer, Nissan will always be overpriced, but the one thing you can rely on is that no matter who does it servicing a car is never cheap and despite the 40K not being a major service in the D40 many mechs charge it as one because it's got more check points than a 30K.

Edit: On the note of capped price servicing, I thought someone here mentioned it's not available to all owners, you had to fit into certain criteria for it. However I could be wrong on that as I don't take any notice of Nissan service letters.

Last edited by a moderator:
The 40K service is a larger-than-usual service. Mine took half the day to do. Had my front rotors and pads replaced as well, since the Philadelphia Cream Cheese rotors had been dipped into too many times!

$800 sounds reasonable. We had the 80K service done not that long ago, and it was close to $1000. Waiting to see the 120K's bill - should be the biggest of them all.

If you're getting brake pads and stuff done the service cost will always be higher but despite all the bad press about D40 brake pads not everyone needs them replaced at 40K, I'll be lucky to change mine at 80K the way they are going. The 120K shouldn't be a bigger bill for servicing alone, I haven't looked at the book for ages but from memory the 120K shouldn't really be any bigger than the 40K.

Actually just looking at that capped price service list and it's interesting to see that they are quoting figures for non DPF fitted engines only and that oil for the DPF will add $45.54 to the price of the service. I wonder how they came up with that figure is it random enough that they hope people will think the numbers were calculated or did they just pick a figure out of their collective arses at the round table discussion.

At $45 extra though it shows why dealer servicing, even when it's capped price, should actually be renamed as Crapped Price!

My mechanic is $300 too $500 and he goes over the car with a fine tooth comb. He just did my 100,000km service changed everything from the front too the back all the oils, full tune up and valve adjustment, tyre rotation and even washed it for $550. (didn't do timing chain by my choice)
It's hard too get top quality mechanics these days but they are out there.
J&W Mechanical, wallsend.

Last edited:
I'll throw this in then.

If you get the servicing done by non Nissan mechs, is there any point in using genuine Nissan parts? I'm guessing, if you had a problem and your servicing wasn't done by Nissan, they'd reject any warranty claim you made. So is it worth bothering to use genuine Nissan stuff?

Nissan (or any other manufacture) COULD make life harder if you use non genuine parts, but that doesn't mean to say they WILL. Whether you use genuine parts or not is entirely your choice and yes it may be a risk but don't think for a second that just because a manufacturer services your car you'll suddenly get every warranty claim upheld. Manufacturers can and will knock back warranties even when cars have been serviced in their own dealership.

At the end of the day it's your risk and only you can decide how much of a risk you are prepared to take but dealer servicing and genuine parts does not automatically mean an easier ride.

If they're being fair and reasonable - which they can be ordered to by a court - it then depends on what caused the failure.

If the failure was attributable to the part that was chosen, or the fitting of that part, then the part or person that fitted that part is responsible.

But if you had your car serviced at Joe's Garage, where changed the oil, and the tailgate hinge breaks on you, Nissan are unlikely to call it an issue with the replacement oil used.

If the mechanic fails to do a particular thing that was required during the service though, that COULD lead to Nissan denying a warranty claim relating to that thing - so even if an item looks good enough to last until the next service, if the servicing regimen specifies a replacement with a particular thing then that's what should be done.

Nissan DO allow some leeway in products used. Oils for example - you can use the oil they specify "or equivalent". There are exceptions - the auto gearbox fluid, for example. They allow a variation in the transfer case, but in the gearbox itself it MUST be the Nissan oil ONLY.

A mate of mine just got quoted by Nissan in Nowra $1300 for the 40 thou service my mechanic is going to do it for $500 and thats doing what nissan do and more because he is heading to the Kimberley for 8 weeks and wants it all checked out .

A mate of mine just got quoted by Nissan in Nowra $1300 for the 40 thou service my mechanic is going to do it for $500 and thats doing what nissan do and more because he is heading to the Kimberley for 8 weeks and wants it all checked out .

Im not sure why they would quote that price when the capped price lists is on their web site. They cant charge anymore unless they are doing extra work eg brake pads ect.

When i first bought my D40 and rang the dealer i bought it off to ask about the cost of the 10k, i got three different prices in three different calls. I finally got sick of it and checked the web site myself, when i questioned them, they said they were looking at old pricing books......... how many old books do they bloody have, three calls three prices, makes you wonder how many people fall for it.

I now go to MOSS VALE NISSAN and they did my 40k for less then the capped price, $730 not much cheaper but it all counts i guess.

The only reason i go to NISSAN is to make any warranty claim go smoother when or if i need to, and its my work ute so its all a tax deduction.

Latest posts

Back