ZD30DDT turbo upgrade. Dyno print out and info added. Available monday.

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
When i asked a few shops last week about their turbo upgrade packs for the 3.0L TD, they said that ball bearing turbos are the biggest killer on a Diesel engine, apparantly they do not like Diesel oil as it is thicker.. Someone confirm or deny this?

BS

diesel engine oil is just as thin as petrol. what ball bearing turbo's do not like is dirty oil. as long as the oil doesn't get to full of soot (big problem with EGR equip engines) or contaminated (ie with diesel fuel) they are fine.
in fact dirt,soot or fuel will kill journal bearing turbo's as well, just not as quick.

On topic. Dave, out of curiosity (Particularly as I have sold my Nav) do you know what turbo they were fitting in the kit?

Not sure mate, its a Garret impeller I know that, the turbo housing water cooled so thats different to.

Fourfoot has been warned, calm down or GTFO.

BS

diesel engine oil is just as thin as petrol. what ball bearing turbo's do not like is dirty oil. as long as the oil doesn't get to full of soot (big problem with EGR equip engines) or contaminated (ie with diesel fuel) they are fine.
in fact dirt,soot or fuel will kill journal bearing turbo's as well, just not as quick.
Yeh i called BS aswell, seeing as companies over east were trying to sell me ball bearing turbo as an upgrade.

About the only reason I can see for them fitting bush journal turbos even to the water cooled ones (D40-R51) rather than a ball bearing unit is what was mentioned above about sooty, gritty oil. I have always though that the 10,000km service interval is too long and the oil condition really deteriorates over the last couple of thousand KM. I have wondered if a ball bearing unit would stand up to it.

Reminds me to check out of interest to see if the M9R TDI in the Xtrail I replaced my Nav with is a ball bearing or bush job.

A bit scary, isn't the new V6 deisel supposed to be out to 20,000km intervals!

P*&^ Orf, after 22ks in the tractor the other night there is no way I'm down grading the Kubota to a 22 :eviltongue:

Latest posts

Back