ZD30 engine oil filter housing on so tight

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bellshom

Reaction score
Hey guys,

Just doing my first oil change on my Navara (ZD30), just finished dropping the oil and went to undo the oil filter housing.

But its on so tight, used a 1/2 inch ratchet but it wont budge. Just waiting for the engine to cool down at the moment before giving it another try and was wondering if anyone had any other tips.

Bellshom said:
Hey guys,

Just doing my first oil change on my Navara (ZD30), just finished dropping the oil and went to undo the oil filter housing.

But its on so tight, used a 1/2 inch ratchet but it wont budge. Just waiting for the engine to cool down at the moment before giving it another try and was wondering if anyone had any other tips.

Get a longer bar on it mate the thing should go. Don't forget to put a new o ring on it and a smear of oil too

Yeah mate i usually use my 1/2inch breaker bar just to loosen it then use the 1/2inch wratchet to undo i the rest of the way, the breaker bar will give you the lil bit extra leverage ya need.

Get a long, thick screwdriver, hammer it right through the filter and use it for a handle to turn the filter. Even piercing the filter and letting the oil drain out I find makes it easier

Dunkly said:
Get a long, thick screwdriver, hammer it right through the filter and use it for a handle to turn the filter. Even piercing the filter and letting the oil drain out I find makes it easier

No..

Get a longer bar on it mate, it'll eventually go. Give it a good clean up when you get it off, new o ring, smear some oil on the o ring before popping it back in

:yeahright: LOL they are not a normal can type filter. they use eco filter and have a solid alloy cover that it goes in.

takes a bit getting them off ass you can't always get in on the right angle. sometimes a T bar and a few gentle taps with a hammer gets it loose.

No..

Get a longer bar on it mate, it'll eventually go. Give it a good clean up when you get it off, new o ring, smear some oil on the o ring before popping it back in

Ditto!
I usually use a half-inch knuckle bar. Don't have one? Then buy one - they are bloody invaluable.

And don't over tighten it when reassembling, people tend to over tighten things with O-rings on them, which is unnecessary and only makes life hard next time.

Cheers everyone.

Yeah was using the breaker bar aswell, still wouldn't budge.

Ended up getting it off with a bit of shock force using the bar and a hammer just to loosen it off. Didnt think it was going to budge it was on that tight.

Cheers again.

Latest posts

Back