What is the EGR mod?

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ok so where do I get a bloody catch can from and how much am I looking at for one???

All this toing and froing marcho bulshit still doesn't answer my original question.

Why is there more blow by and preferable a catch can needed after the EGR mod.

All this toing and froing marcho bulshit still doesn't answer my original question.

cant see how you would get more blowby...

catchcan is advisable whether or not you have done the egr mod.

insted of reading thru 30+ different threads with heaps of pages. i asked 1 quick question and i got a quick answer

And for the person who does do a search, guess what ? There,s another thread now for them to read and maybe find an answer :yeahright:

Which plate do you block off?
My 2.5 2011 has three visible plates, (Looking at the engine) 1 near the injector motor, 1 just in front of that near the front pipe of the engine and 1 to the right hand side of the motor near the exhaust manifold.

Which plate do you block off?
My 2.5 2011 has three visible plates, (Looking at the engine) 1 near the injector motor, 1 just in front of that near the front pipe of the engine and 1 to the right hand side of the motor near the exhaust manifold.

just do the exhaust manifold one, when you do it make sure you don't drop that little black gasket on the EGR inlet thing.

Any elevation in combustion efficiency is going to produce slightly higher pressures in the combustion chamber which will equate to additional blow-by.

That said, the actual amount will be minuscule and you don't HAVE to sweat about it.

The catch can is there to catch the oil vapour being pumped out of the crankcase because of the blow-by. A slight increase in blow-by will result in a slight increase in oil vapour being blown out the PCV into the intake. Again, it's a small amount. It's not worth panicking about.

The catch can is a good idea in any case - EGR blocked or not - because it reduces the amount of oil being ingested by your engine, and reduces the oil filling your intercooler.

To the people that like to give good advise thank you it helps, as for some they need to wake up and stop bein keyboard worriors, this is meant to be a site were ppl help each other and not bag em out

Any elevation in combustion efficiency is going to produce slightly higher pressures in the combustion chamber which will equate to additional blow-by.

That said, the actual amount will be minuscule and you don't HAVE to sweat about it.

The catch can is there to catch the oil vapour being pumped out of the crankcase because of the blow-by. A slight increase in blow-by will result in a slight increase in oil vapour being blown out the PCV into the intake. Again, it's a small amount. It's not worth panicking about.

The catch can is a good idea in any case - EGR blocked or not - because it reduces the amount of oil being ingested by your engine, and reduces the oil filling your intercooler.

yes...minimal....keeping in mind too that the egr valve is not open all the time.

To the people that like to give good advise thank you it helps, as for some they need to wake up and stop bein keyboard worriors, this is meant to be a site were ppl help each other and not bag em out

:violin2::violin2::violin2::violin2:

NO.. we do like to help people out...those who put in some effort and if the effort was put in you'd realise this.

yes...minimal....keeping in mind too that the egr valve is not open all the time.

+1 and that's the bit that beats the shit out of me.

The EGR valve is closed at idle and full throttle. Why?

At idle, dampening the combustion will kill the motor, apart from being ineffective because the combustion temps just aren't getting high enough to produce NOx anyway.

At full throttle the EGR is a contradiction. This is where the most NOx is produced, because the combustion temperatures are at their highest!

The reason they keep doing this to our motors is because we don't ALL drive around at full throttle.

catch can is a seperate thing and not related to egr in any way.

you may get a bit more blowby when egr is blocked because your now not reducing the boost. so no egr means more boost at cruise which gives more pressure so more gas goes past the rings.

the more important down side is that with egr blocked your using a lot more air. so the airfilter will clog up quicker and dirty air filter will make more of a difference in performance.

A bit of a hijack here but others might want to know as well. I've done the egr/swirl mod but holding off the catch can because I'm thinking the oily residue will slowly break down the built up carbon from the egr that's in the intake runners etc, mine had 157000km on before I got to it (bought it 3 months ago).
Is this wishful thinking, stupid train of thought ? or does it have merit ?
I don't have an inter cooler to worry about yet.

but holding off the catch can
because I'm thinking the oily residue will slowly break down the built up carbon from the egr that's in the intake runners etc,
Is this wishful thinking, or does it have merit ?

:no::no::no:

that egr sludge needs to be manually cleaned up as will the airflow reducing crust buildup on the back and stem of the intake valves..BAD stuff...
Get a catch can...

there may be a spray that you put down the the intake with engine running to clean up the sludge but I havent seen any in the shops...(like carby cleaner)
But the crust means cylinder head removal and dissassembly.

Happy Days.

get a catch can.

as mentioned above any more oil will make it worse not better and do not forget that the oil is unmetered fuel. burning engine oil also tends to foul up the combustion chamber aera.

I was talking with the guys at Northside4X4 the other day and I mentioned about this EGR mod. On the particular car that I was talking to them about (they had always done the servicing on it) they indicated that they held off from doing the EGR mod simply due to the owner doing a lot of heavy towing and they believe that the EGR mod increases engine temps and they didn't want that for this particular car. What they did do instead, was "spray" this special Diesel solution (comes in a spray can and he told me the name but I can remember it) and it breaks down all the soot build up and it just burns it all off. He thoughts were by doing this regularly, u keep a cooler/cleaner engine....

I was speaking to Leon up at Northside for any of those that are curious.

A bit of a hijack here but others might want to know as well. I've done the egr/swirl mod but holding off the catch can because I'm thinking the oily residue will slowly break down the built up carbon from the egr that's in the intake runners etc, mine had 157000km on before I got to it (bought it 3 months ago).
Is this wishful thinking, stupid train of thought ? or does it have merit ?
I don't have an inter cooler to worry about yet.

egr mod does not increase max engine temps. on a cooled egr engine it may make the engines running temp a little warmer but thats still far far short of its max temp.

if for some reason you want to keep the egr working, i would still do the butterfly mod (zd30 engine). this increases the airflow and decreases the egr without eliminating it entirely.

Latest posts

Back