what do u think is better ?

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

navdog_d40

Reaction score
hey guys quick question
can someone tell me what do u think would be better off road a nissan navara d40 with a 2''lift or a Toyota land cruiser troop carrier the (10seat)
i ask this coz one of my friends has one but he says its a little top heavy but he still sits higher than me we haven't been out together as of yet but i was kinda hoping i could give him a run for his money coz he don't like nissan lol any thoughts cheers.

It will come down to driver ability and terrain.

If the wheelbase (distance from front wheels to rear wheels) is shorter on the Toyota, it will find getting over obstacles easier. If its wheel diameter is larger, then its axles and diffs will sit higher and clear larger obstacles too.

As much as I hate Toyota's, the Yota would kill a D40 offroad.

Yep i have to agree..... The only place you may stand a chance is when you need power,,, eg.. sand then the d40 will kill the troopy, they are so slow and heavy.

d40 lsd will destroy the yotas diff going up steep (levelled) gravel/sand/mud...so go looking for a steep gravally hill and battle him there lol stay away from rough flexing terrain cause the d40 will be gutted much like seeing ur mate kiss ur mum with tongue

Last edited:
Troppies are top heavy the might have a bit more travel but if you see them off road they lurch around somthing shocking. One bloke I know said he always felt like his was going to fall over but did have a roof rack on it.
I'd still back the Nav.

hey guys quick question
can someone tell me what do u think would be better off road a nissan navara d40 with a 2''lift or a Toyota land cruiser troop carrier the (10seat)
i ask this coz one of my friends has one but he says its a little top heavy but he still sits higher than me we haven't been out together as of yet but i was kinda hoping i could give him a run for his money coz he don't like nissan lol any thoughts cheers.

Your mate has a troopy....:rofl2: :rofl2:

I would say the solid axel troopy, but it would depend if he has cols or leaf as leafs dont flex all that well. Yes the nav has a better LSD but if both are running the same tyers I would say the Yota will probably win. But If you pick your lines you could get over him with a bit of luck.

here is the difference between my D40 and my solid axle leaf sprung Hilux that my wife takes on our camping/4x4 trips
5010a45b.jpg

8a1f821d.jpg

just have to put this one in.... i just like how level the old Lux stays compared to my D40
42efc280.jpg

c170e658.jpg

Having said that the D40 went everywhere the old Lux went..... just did its with it legs in the air...

Last edited:
That is not a fair comparison. In the first comparo the right front wheel of the Nav is right at the bottom of the hole "V"or washout 50 or 60mm there is going to make a big difference on the diagnal.
The second comparo the both vehicles are in two different postions.
Why would you tackle those two spots like they are in photos, looks like there is and easier on the vehicle line thru there.

That is not a fair comparison. In the first comparo the right front wheel of the Nav is right at the bottom of the hole "V"or washout 50 or 60mm there is going to make a big difference on the diagnal.
The second comparo the both vehicles are in two different postions.
Why would you tackle those two spots like they are in photos, looks like there is and easier on the vehicle line thru there.

Dude you are getting a bit carried away with it all..... you can take photos of what ever angle you want and the nav, as much as i love it, will never ever flex like the lux does... The lux never once on that entire trip had its wheels in the air like the Nav did all weekend
I was there and i own both utes and the lines that may look all right in a photo are not a possibilty in real life, allot of those photos you cant see whats in front of the utes, so what you cant see is that if you stayed on one side of a rut you would get caught there or the cross back over would be worse.

Here is a shot that will show all the options we had..... as you can see that we had trees on one side and a massive rut on the right
a5bd9f83.jpg

Last edited:

If you look at the last photo of the Nav, you will see a massive rock next to the passenger door, what you cant see is the even bigger ones just on the other side and more just a bit ahead of where we need to get to.

dude you really cant tell me what lines i should of taken when you cant tell whats else is in the surrounding area or even the true size or scale of what is there.

We were there with heaps of very experienced drivers and we all decided on very similar lines.
I am not saying im the best driver by any means but, I have been driving 4by's for nearly 20yrs, so i think i have a little bit of knowledge what lines to take thanks all the same champ.

Last edited:
This thread is getting funny!
Those old hiluxes are awesome off road, as the photo proves.

How often on that weekend did the Nav get hung up on its tow bar or belly? Thats the probs I have

This thread is getting funny!
Those old hiluxes are awesome off road, as the photo proves.

How often on that weekend did the Nav get hung up on its tow bar or belly? Thats the probs I have

Mate all weekend there was clanging and banging under the car, i kept hoping the bash plates were doing the job, oh and there was allot of time trying different lines due to getting cross locked, thats where the old Lux was so good for my wife, she could just drive it where ever she wanted..... hahaha

Surprisingly enough the Nav was the only ute that didnt need to be snatched or winched all weekend, but the two D4D Hilux's and my old Hilux got stuck in a few bog holes, mainly due to the slightly smaller tyres and not enough loud peddle, and
I think I just got lucky

Latest posts

Back