water/oil foamed up in catch can??

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tufnav

Reaction score
Ok guys please help!
Just emptied my catch can and got a surprise on what came out. I usually only pull 100 to 200ish mls of blow by oil but this time I got about 300-400mls water/oil foam... why so much? And why foam?

Note - I have recently added a water injection kit and did a big beach 4wdn session last weekend.

Now my thoughts are the water injection is evaporating through crankcase and mixing with oil vapour causing foam.

I will investigate further tommorow by checking engine oil dip stick for signs water and also check radiator coolant level. Could be possible head gasket failure.

What your thoughts on this guys?

Could quite possibly be the water inj kit, especially if the nozzle is too big. What size do u have?
They reckon about 3gallon/hour nozzle is big enough for a engine this size (and thats running meth/water) so if ur just running strait water maybe 1 or 2 gph would be better... I run a 2, but dont have a catch can so cant compare with urs.

James

That was the Injector supplied in th kit. I just looked it up and its rated 12.8gph!! Oops, thanks James think your right

Such a rookie/stupid mistake really! Didn't pay much attention to the water injector spec now did I. Believe it on not I got to say it was running really well but its definitely injecting nearly ten times too much!

they can handle big amounts. one guy is running 25gph, mind you hes also running 40-50lb boost !

Wow that's double mine! I checked my oil and so forth and found signs off water in the sump but only minor. I'm glad I checked this out now n no later because honestly if I kept driving with the setup I had I think disaster was around the corner. For everyone running water injection via boost switch I suggest switching off or allowing excess water to evaporate before turning off engine just to ensure moisture doesn't contaminate oil in sump.
Got to say a nice little lesson learnt here on my water injection project.

I originally had the boost switch set at around 11psi but now decided to raise the switch on point to 13psi. And now ordered a much less flowing injector!

Ps.. what's you thoughts on my oil status now. Before my mistake of the oversized water injector my oil was clean n clear. If evaporated the water off and now left with a blackish oil. Service not due for another few thousand ks but if you think its a good idea to Schedule it sooner then I will :) thanks for input guys.

I have Water meth coming, I will be running 4.75 gph
one 4gph inlet manifold and a 0.75 pre turbo.
I will be having it set to 14-15psi, to 18psi (when the chip is activated during highway speeds)

I will check the oil, however i dont think 4.75gph at high boost is alot.

Ps.. what's you thoughts on my oil status now. Before my mistake of the oversized water injector my oil was clean n clear. If evaporated the water off and now left with a blackish oil. Service not due for another few thousand ks but if you think its a good idea to Schedule it sooner then I will :) thanks for input guys.

the black oil can be from cleaning out the crap in the combustion chamber.

also if your pouring in too much water it acts a bit like EGR does and will cause the combustion to be poor and could make more soot.

Yeah I agree with ya on that one tweake. So what's ya thoughts on the oil holding up another few thousand kays?

I would be very interested to see people's water injection kits and recommendations. They sound the goods but I'm still unsure. Maybe someone can put a installation process up with pictures

Yeah I agree with ya on that one tweake. So what's ya thoughts on the oil holding up another few thousand kays?
no problem. tho i would use a high ash, preferable jap spec oil. look for an oil with high TBN, that will handle acids better/longer which can be created by having so much water in the oil.
normal oil changes will be fine tho you might want to do a change early after running the kit for a while.

Hi... I've just bought a catch can off fleabay and didn't pay attention to the size of the barbs.,, it has 1/2" barbs... Is that goin to be a problem for a 05 zd30??

Hi... I've just bought a catch can off fleabay and didn't pay attention to the size of the barbs.,, it has 1/2" barbs... Is that goin to be a problem for a 05 zd30??

I think the hoses are 5/8, won't be hard to find adaptors.

Ok guys please help!
Just emptied my catch can and got a surprise on what came out. I usually only pull 100 to 200ish mls of blow by oil but this time I got about 300-400mls water/oil foam... why so much? And why foam?

Note - I have recently added a water injection kit and did a big beach 4wdn session last weekend.

Now my thoughts are the water injection is evaporating through crankcase and mixing with oil vapour causing foam.

I will investigate further tommorow by checking engine oil dip stick for signs water and also check radiator coolant level. Could be possible head gasket failure.

What your thoughts on this guys?

I found water in my catch can after installing water injection too, wasn't suprised, i'd been running the 14gph nozzle.

Drive it easy until the temps up so any blowby water will evapourate off the engine oil.

You will be able to use 5/8 barbs in the same thread. Let it breath.

they can handle big amounts. one guy is running 25gph, mind you hes also running 40-50lb boost !

When i first put mine in they sent the wrong nozzle, it was about 10 gph.
I was running about 30% meth to water, and on the highway i could get up to max boost (stock) and let my foot off a bit and the boost wouldnt go down and speed wouldnt drop lol, goes nice now with 2gph and 40-50% meth.
3 gph would be nice i rekon but i cbf filling up the 15L tank after an hour on the highway!

yeah water usage is a pain. a lot of it comes down to hows it setup and what sort of roads you drive.

if you have variable control 2 or 3 gph nozzle, you will run an average ~1gph at cruise. so an easy 5-6 litres an hour, say 30 liters of water per tank of fuel !

i might go to pre turbo. use less water and try and make the turbo more efficient.

When i first put mine in they sent the wrong nozzle, it was about 10 gph.
I was running about 30% meth to water, and on the highway i could get up to max boost (stock) and let my foot off a bit and the boost wouldnt go down and speed wouldnt drop lol, goes nice now with 2gph and 40-50% meth.
3 gph would be nice i rekon but i cbf filling up the 15L tank after an hour on the highway!

Set it so that it comes on above your highway speed boost level.
Mine sits around 10psi at 110kmh and the water injection comes on around 13psi, that way i only use water when i put my foot in to it.

Tweake mines just an on/off pump.
Around town i use about 15l per tank of fuel.
Cheers rumpig, ive got mine at at 10psi now, mite try a bit higher but i like the extra power to be as low in the rev range as possible... And im usually at or near 15psi when going on long trips so wouldnt make any difference there, but good advice anyhow.

Latest posts

Back