wanting to buy Navara 4x4

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Striker

Reaction score
I'm keen on getting one of these vehicles will be looking for a used one.Around $15,000

While talking to a guy who too was looking to buy one but was told by his mechanic he has too many coming in with engine problems.

So i thought i'd join this forum to ask what was he referring to ?..Is it a particular model ..? which has had problems,petrol,diesel ,transmissions. ??

Would appreciate knowing what's he talking about so best you ask you guys

Welcome to the forum.

They've all had engine problems. Doesn't matter what brand it is, if it's got an engine it's probably had a problem.

The D22s seem to have a few less problems than the D40s but in saying that, the real number of D40s that have problems is far less than you'd think by reading the internet.

Welcome to the forum.

They've all had engine problems. Doesn't matter what brand it is, if it's got an engine it's probably had a problem.

The D22s seem to have a few less problems than the D40s but in saying that, the real number of D40s that have problems is far less than you'd think by reading the internet.

Thank you for the reply,i did a google search to see what or if the navara had any common problem.
Came across a section motors going into limp mode on diesels which can happen easily and how to remedy a quick fix during idle to get yourself going again.
So i may just go for a petrol engine instead as i'd assume petrol doesn't have this problem.

Oh the diesel limp mode problem is really not very common at all. In all seriousness, you want to weigh up what you'd like to spend on fuel, combined with what you'd like to do with the car.

If you want more mileage from your tank, OR if you want to do water crossings, then the diesel is it. Both petrol and diesel can tow, the petrol has more torque but develops it at higher revs so that's a tradeoff. Petrol service costs are less - the diesel does cost more to service, and parts are more expensive too (example: diesel fuel pump (and just the pump) is about $4,000 and the petrol would be a couple of hundred dollars tops). These components don't often fail though - so budgeting in one fuel pump a year is going to skew the results in favour of the petrol engine unfairly.

I've got a diesel - had it since new, for just over 4 years now. Apart from the diesel clatter (sometimes have to turn off the engine when ordering food at a drive-thru) the car's been superb. Ended up with a surprise creek flooding one day, had the car in the middle bonnet-deep and on she went, didn't miss a beat. I wouldn't do that in a petrol even if I'd prepared the engine, because faults happen and the last thing I'd want is a short from a HT lead while the car's immersed - it's bye-bye car.

In the end though, it's your call. If you don't want to do water crossings (or deep mud puddles) and you don't mind the extra fuel bill, the petrol might be the car for you. Aussie Frontier has one and swears by it - they are NOT a bad car. There's just some things you can't do with them. With the diesel, you'll spend more on maintaining it, but you'll do more with it too.

You bring up some good valid points Tony
Luckily i caught a segment on 4wdtv yesterday talking about diesel engines and what's required in owning one.

The petrol would be fine for me and only doing 2,000-4,000 kls at most per year fuel won't be a issue.

99.9% will be road driving and the selection in having a auto trans is easier to find in petrol engines,it will only be doing a bit of beach driving a dozen times a year with only 1-2kls of soft sand per beach trip.

Thanks

Just remember one thing, you say now you won't be doing much 4x4 driving etc that's while you don't have a truck... Once you get one the bug bites and you'll want to be doing alot more with it! Always look for the wife picture at the end if the road and incorporate add many future possibilities as you can don't sell your self short

Just remember one thing, you say now you won't be doing much 4x4 driving etc that's while you don't have a truck... Once you get one the bug bites and you'll want to be doing alot more with it! Always look for the wife picture at the end if the road and incorporate add many future possibilities as you can don't sell your self short

Nah not really never had a inkling to go dirt,i have been with others and never felt like this is the thing to do for me.
I'm only buying a 4X4 to only fish one particular beach and no other reason as i need to update my 20yo car

Sounds like the petrol is definitely the way to go. For beach work, add a decent compressor, a decent tyre deflator and a set of MaxTrax (or equivalent - even the Aldi ones will do). Proper recovery points on both chassis rails front and rear and keep an equalisation strap handy and there's no beach ever gonna hold you back. Maybe add a dual battery system and LED work lights, awning for them lazy days on the sand, waiting for the next bite ...

Nah not really never had a inkling to go dirt,i have been with others and never felt like this is the thing to do for me.
I'm only buying a 4X4 to only fish one particular beach and no other reason as i need to update my 20yo car

Sounds like you knew the answer before you asked the question mate.

Oh the diesel limp mode problem is really not very common at all. In all seriousness, you want to weigh up what you'd like to spend on fuel, combined with what you'd like to do with the car.

If you want more mileage from your tank, OR if you want to do water crossings, then the diesel is it. Both petrol and diesel can tow, the petrol has more torque but develops it at higher revs so that's a tradeoff. Petrol service costs are less - the diesel does cost more to service, and parts are more expensive too (example: diesel fuel pump (and just the pump) is about $4,000 and the petrol would be a couple of hundred dollars tops). These components don't often fail though - so budgeting in one fuel pump a year is going to skew the results in favour of the petrol engine unfairly.

I've got a diesel - had it since new, for just over 4 years now. Apart from the diesel clatter (sometimes have to turn off the engine when ordering food at a drive-thru) the car's been superb. Ended up with a surprise creek flooding one day, had the car in the middle bonnet-deep and on she went, didn't miss a beat. I wouldn't do that in a petrol even if I'd prepared the engine, because faults happen and the last thing I'd want is a short from a HT lead while the car's immersed - it's bye-bye car.

In the end though, it's your call. If you don't want to do water crossings (or deep mud puddles) and you don't mind the extra fuel bill, the petrol might be the car for you. Aussie Frontier has one and swears by it - they are NOT a bad car. There's just some things you can't do with them. With the diesel, you'll spend more on maintaining it, but you'll do more with it too.
(example: diesel fuel pump (and just the pump) is about $4,000
Hi Tony,just wanted to ask if it's a typo error.Should you have said $400 ?

Nope, four thousand dollars. The fuel rail plus injectors plus fitting will set you back another five thousand dollars (it's about $9K all up to replace pump, injectors and rail).

It develops 30,000psi. The big water cutting thingies only do 20,000 - the tiny little pump on the side of the block is a wonder in itself. And you pay for that wonder. And maybe wonder why you're paying for it too!

I'm wondering if you really need a "serious" 4x4 for the amount of use.
Have you considered a soft 4x4 like an X trail?
From what I've read, they are apparently okay on the beach and should be a cheap buy(local council will not get them for staff any more as their resale value has pitted as market is flooded).

I have been going with someone else who has a Xtrail,he won't try going through some of the softer sand near the end when i think it might of been alright.

Here is some youtube of the beach,it all starts of firm and easy going even for 2wd but during the last few K's it gets softer.

Have a look and see what you think,i don't know who these people are on this and you can skip through a fair bit.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cywHvuU6NTY

X-Trails don't have low range either, so if that's important to you, the X-Trail is out. A Pathfinder might be ok, unless you want to haul chicken manure. I know I can't have any of that in the cabin with me, my eyes start watering, so I'm glad I've got a ute.

Latest posts

Back