Turbo timers

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BJ Navara

Reaction score
Ok, new to D22's, and have only seen turbo timers on ground scraping doof doof rice burner wannabe drifters in the supermarket car park, where they sit there all by themselves guzzling petrol.

I take it you need to leave a manual in neutral to be able to leave it unattended?

( I live on a steep hill and wouldn't trust the handbrake).

Sorry for offence to any drifters
:sorry3:

It does need to be in neutral, And yes you would need to trust your handbrake, Theres a few on here with timers on there navs. My trims are off as we speak so i can put the timer on, i,m on a coffee break

Thanks Dave,
Don't think I can trust it in my parking spot, don't think the neighbours would be impressed with a D22 planted in their garden.
I'll let you get back to work!

Ease up buddy. I used to have a low ground scrapping 11.4 second quarter mile turbo sss with doof doof. Careful what you say, not just the drifters you offend......
And yes any vehicle with a turbo should have a timer

I have one in mine. Get the handbrake tightened. If the hill is too steep just sit the extra minute in your car and wait till u can put it in gear. or if bur really desperate make sure it has a stop button on it. mind you kinda defeats the purpose of haveing one

Ease up buddy. I used to have a low ground scrapping 11.4 second quarter mile turbo sss with doof doof. Careful what you say, not just the drifters you offend......

Tongue in cheek jap55s, no offence meant!

I only ever leave the handbrake on and car in neutral who ever on a hill is not a good idea even with a good handbrake. As it sits there the brake diac and pads will cool and retract meaning its easier for your car to roll away

Im getting a 2012 d22 navara whilst arranging an alarm for it the guy said I don't need a turbo timer on it as these new engines don't need it unless I had upgraded from
Stock turbo so basically he said he will feel bad selling it to me?
Is this true I always thought the above statement was true .... That every vehicle with a turbo should have a timer, any expert advice?

pirate,it has nothing to do with the engine,its the fact that when the engine turns off it stops supplying oil to lubricate the hot turbo,turbo timer lets the turbo cool before the oil supply is cut,so there for it doesnt matter if the engine is a 250k engine with the best technoligy the turbo would still fail sooner without a timer.thats my understanding of it and someone will correct me if im wrong but im 100% sure.

BJ,i know its not conveniant but for the sake of the turbo why not buy a set of small chocks and sit them behind your seat,will take 2 secs to whip them out when you get home.

Unless the turbo has a coolant line running through it to help cool the turbo after shut off then yes I would recommend it no matter what turbo size genuine or aftermarket.

Any one know what they are like to fit yourself? Are they plug and play or a job for a auto sparky?

at the end of the day there a bit of a crock especially on newer cars as the turbo bearings and oils are of much better quality. unless you have been flogging the ringer out of it there is no reason to let it idle infact in some setups it will get hotter at idle than it will being driven softly.(more so performance engines) if your driving your car normal just turn it off if your flogging just before your gonna shut it down let it idle for a minute maybe two.
so they are a waste of time but that said i run one lol

boggard and arb(same thing different sticker ones are plug and play other are a wire in job. still not hard they just wire into the ignition source

the hard part is running relays to keep your aircon running while the turbo timer is on so your ute is nice and cool when you come back out the shop from getting your smoko :D
Obviously optional lol

Any one know what they are like to fit yourself? Are they plug and play or a job for a auto sparky?

Bogaard make plug and play and the wire in types, So make sure you buy a plug and play unit. I put mine in last week, 5 screws to take housing around steering column off, 3 more screws or little bolts to take bottom trim off. And unplug ignition loom then plug timer in and plug the other end in, And put the earth wire to a bolt under the dash for a good earth, if it doesnt have a the green handbrake wire then your done just put your trims back on. The instructions also recommend disconnecting the battery whilst installing the unit. It really is a very simple job.

Don't be so sensitive, it's un-Australian.

BJ I didn't know much(anything) about turbo timers until this thread, I have done a little research and found that the main reason for the timer is so that the lubricating oil continues flowing until the turbo has cooled enough that it will not burn what's resting in the components that are hot. Although not as necessary these days with the quality of oils and turbo components but having one WILL prolong the life of you turbo and can protect it from potential damage.

There's my two cents.

Hey guys, I installed a boggard turbo timer to my D22 nav and it works great.
Although sometimes the immobiliser button stops the engine.
When I use the key the timer works fine.
Any ideas on how to solve the problem?
Cheers.

Latest posts

Back