Think the turbo is cactus

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TurboGQ

Reaction score
hey guys,,, i think i am on the right track, whenever i hit 3000rpm i get a wierd fluttering sound coming from the motor and you can hear it through the exhaust, i am thinking the bearings are shot in the turbo as it is only when your on full boost it makes the awful sound,,,, if it was top end it would sound like it all the time.... any one with any other ideas closest dealer worth going to is in in kal 980km away

merry xmas

I'd undo the hose clamp holding the air intake on the turbocharger and with a clean finger I'd give the turbo a bit of a wiggle - it shouldn't wiggle at all - and then try to turn it, it should be velvet-smooth, with no roughness in it at all.

At full boost your turbo is also sucking away like mad and if the engine bay is hot enough your air intake hose may be collapsing (I think some STs were doing this, and looks like the STX550 has this issue too). If this is it, replace as much of the air piping as you can with hard pipe. It's not a design issue, it's a cheapskate issue.

You might also have a stuck EGR valve, flooding the engine with EGR. Block that sucker off with a stainless steel plate (driver's side, takes about 15 mins to manufacture and fit).

There might also be an issue with the fuel filter/pump, but there's no way of telling that just yet. Has the fuel filter been changed recently?

Speaking of filters, what condition is your air filter in? If it's caked in dust your engine won't breathe very well at all, and at those rpm it does make a difference.

I'd undo the hose clamp holding the air intake on the turbocharger and with a clean finger I'd give the turbo a bit of a wiggle - it shouldn't wiggle at all - and then try to turn it, it should be velvet-smooth, with no roughness in it at all. I havent had the pipe off the front yet due to work times and just lack of time to play, i have noticesd some nice oil staining on the pressure side of the front housing where the pipe goes to the intercooler, but having a day to play next week i will have a closer look at the turbine and see if it has any play...

At full boost your turbo is also sucking away like mad and if the engine bay is hot enough your air intake hose may be collapsing (I think some STs were doing this, and looks like the STX550 has this issue too). If this is it, replace as much of the air piping as you can with hard pipe. It's not a design issue, it's a cheapskate issue. yeah i been looking at the cheap piping and replacing it for the shear fact it looks crap and proper piping will allow better air flow, but never thought of the pipe vacumning it self and restricting but it is something worth a look

You might also have a stuck EGR valve, flooding the engine with EGR. Block that sucker off with a stainless steel plate (driver's side, takes about 15 mins to manufacture and fit).yeah something i dont wanna play with and no access to something to block it off out here so easily

There might also be an issue with the fuel filter/pump, but there's no way of telling that just yet. Has the fuel filter been changed recently?will be changed next service,,, if it was blocked it would lose power up top which it isnt doing, it still pulls like a cut snake

Speaking of filters, what condition is your air filter in? If it's caked in dust your engine won't breathe very well at all, and at those rpm it does make a difference.
clean as a nuns nasty,, change it every shift due to the lovely area i live in....

If you're seeing oil on the outside of the charge air piping (anywhere after the turbocharger's outlet up to the intake manifold on the other side of the motor) then you've got a leak.

The oil is from the PCV, which enters the air intake just in front of the turbocharger the hose there connects to an outlet on the top of the engine).

If oil is coming out, you can bet that air is too - maybe you've just got a boost leak. Check the hoses for splits, cracks or loose clamps. Don't overtighten the clamps because that will pinch the hose and provide an avenue for more leaking.

If you're seeing oil on the outside of the charge air piping (anywhere after the turbocharger's outlet up to the intake manifold on the other side of the motor) then you've got a leak.

The oil is from the PCV, which enters the air intake just in front of the turbocharger the hose there connects to an outlet on the top of the engine).

If oil is coming out, you can bet that air is too - maybe you've just got a boost leak. Check the hoses for splits, cracks or loose clamps. Don't overtighten the clamps because that will pinch the hose and provide an avenue for more leaking.
yeah i was thinking that,,, if it isnt the turbo or piping the only other is a leaking manifold gasket.....

sorry guys havent had time to look at it due to work commitments,,, will be looking on days off to see if i can diagnose it befor it goes for its 30k service so parts can be ordered so i dont have to lose my car for to long...... will keep yas informed/...

Latest posts

Back