theory on driving course

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jocky_boy

Reaction score
Hi

i am new to 4 wheel driving as i have mentioned in other posts and i'm going on my first 4 wheel driving training course next week it is the recreational coursethen i'll do the other two more complex ones, apart from the driving tuition there will also be theory questions like what is 4 wheel driving and when to put into 4lo 4hi ? and about recovery e.t.c. does anyone know what kind of questions that they will ask want to study up before i get there need all the questions and answers answers dont want to go looking like a tosser in front of people who know about 4 wheel driving

Last edited:
That is Why your going on a course. To Learn. As I have been told the only stupid question is one not asked. Absorb as much info as possible, Pay attention to recovery tips, so you can help Toyota drivers out. Most Importantly is to go out and practice as much as possible...

Chris

We will tell you that you should only ever engage 4wd on soft ground, but they should go into detail and explain why. I think you will find also that they will pretty much use low range for everything they teach you, the course I did was all about being slow and controlled.

^ What Matt said.

Imagine for a moment your car doing a turn at full left lock. The rear left wheel does a tiny circle, the front right wheel does a great big circle, right?

In order to do part of that tiny circle, the rear left wheel turns over (say) 10 times. At the same time, the front right wheel might turn over 15 times.

Now, engage the transfer case and lock the front and rear axles together, so that every revolution of the front axle must be done by the rear.

This is what causes the "binding" when you're in 4WD mode on a hard surface. There is no mechanism between the front and rear axles to allow slip. There is between the left and right wheels on the rear axle - the "Limited Slip Diff" actually allows the wheels to turn over at a different rate. This has the unfortunate side-effect that if you lift a wheel, it spins and the one on the ground goes nowhere - and that's why people buy diff lockers.

The only thing between the front and rear axles is the transfer case. Inside this case is a chain, that connects the two sides of the vehicle. All of the power of the vehicle goes through this chain. If you try engaging 4WD on a hard surface, this chain will wear the brunt of the forces exerted by the engine. It will stretch, become noisy and require replacement.

I do not believe in stupid questions - unless you've already asked it and have ignored the answer.

In my opinion, the real tossers in a 4WD training course are the ones that think they already know how to drive and go off on their own, ignoring the instructors without asking the questions.

Ask what you need to know about. Chances are half the others around are probably wondering about it too and don't have the nadges to ask!

Thanks guys appreciate it i do understand what you mean just shut up listen and ask questions on what they are talking about the only way to learn.

we are going to ellenbrook for the course in wa.

jock

I did one within a few weeks of owning my Nav. It was a 2 dayer and it took about three hours one night to answer all the questions. There was one question asked that the material given did not provide the answer. The whole point being to get people to ask the 'dumb question' and start some discussion going. Excellent it was.

Then to the practicals - just great fun and learnt heaps!!

Latest posts

Back