STX550 3months on and problem.

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kingyfisher

Reaction score
Picked up 550 in September. Bar & LR tank fitted prior. All good until 22/12.
Motor just stopped middle of GWH'Way.Nepean Motor Group blamed wire - pickup for break controller. Went 1/2 day stopped again. Blamed electronic rust preventor (didn't know I even had it.) 70 klms later stopped again.
Blamed bad load of fuel. (Had done 1138 klms on same tank ).6th fillup.
On road test after "cleaning out" big tank" motor stopped on them. Blamed big tank. Said I had to keep min 40 ltrs in so pickup can work.(They claimed to put 40 in) I filled with another 120ltrs (total 160 ?? ) Thought it was only a 130 tank ??). Drove 1klm towards home from picking up. Yep you guessed it.
Motor stopped 1/2 way up Lapstone Hill. This time , transported back to where it came from (Hornsby Nissan) and they are trying to fix properly. 15/1/12.
Waiting for news as to problem. Not happy Jan. Suppose to tow caravan to Tamworth Music Festival Thursday
Kingyfisher
Silver STX-550 Bar & Tank only (at this stage)

Last edited:
Mate what can I say but I wish you luck. Sometimes make me wonder if all Nissan Dealers are retarded

Good luck, I hope they get it done in time.

Was it serviced just before all this started? They may have created a small leak just before the fuel pump, or at the fuel filter. There might be a problem with the suction control valve, although we've only seen the SCV issue on some 4-cyl diesels there's no reason why the same thing can't go wrong on the V6.

If you get it back and it stalls on you, loosen the fuel cap and try again. If that fixes things, it's definitely the SCV.

Yea, thanks . When I here what the problem is I'll post. Old.Tony, where would the SCV be located and whats it look like. I think there should be a hand primer also somewhere but its so new I haven't had time to look at it. (7600klms on clock)
Kingyfisher

The Suction Control Valve should be on the fuel pump. The primer bulb should be in the fuel hose leading up to the pump (and very close to it).

I haven't stuck my head under the bonnet of a V6 long enough to know it intimately, but I'd guess it'll be on the driver's (right-hand side). It won't be in the middle, because the turbo's there and it'd be plain, sheer stupidity to put the fuel pump right next to the hottest thing in the vehicle (apart from the piston crown).

Thanks, very interesting reading hope mine doesn't follow same path. at $67K its a big investment. Maybe I should have kept my old 4.2 GU Patrol (410,000 on clock) never had a single problem with it over 11years.

if its just a silly sensor and its under warranty it wont be to bad,the fella who wrote the thread dont post anymore made bitove prat of himself on another thread by claiming to be some kung fu king lol,shame realy as he might have more info on the problem

Nissan have informed me they have ordered fuel delivery parts, rail, associated pipes etc..
Don't know when I'll get it back now. Hope I don't have to wait for parts from Overseas.
Waited 8 months for car.Old Tony, they mentioned something about low pressure return, none, running out of fuel in system
but tank is full ???

Last edited:
Not 100 percent sure but if by low pressure return they are talking about return to tank (fuel that isn't burnt and therefore gets dumped back into fuel tank) it might be causing a pressure build up at the injector pump.
Had this problem with a 4.2lt GU up the bush once. They return line had a blockage.
Don't know if this your problem or not hopefully I'm not to far of the beaten track.

Not 100 percent sure but if by low pressure return they are talking about return to tank (fuel that isn't burnt and therefore gets dumped back into fuel tank) it might be causing a pressure build up at the injector pump.
Had this problem with a 4.2lt GU up the bush once. They return line had a blockage.
Don't know if this your problem or not hopefully I'm not to far of the beaten track.

G,day Kingyfisher,

I agree with Goata, I had a similar problem with my 1994 GQ patrol 4.2 fuel injected petrol motor in 2003. I had a new long range tank fitted and every 50 or 60ks the Patrol just stopped.

It turned out that the return fuel line was not fitted correctly which then caused a vapour lock in the pressurised fuel system. This then caused the motor to suddenly cut out which was extremely dangerous and also very embarrassing, especially travelling in peak hour traffic in Brisbane at the time.

PS, I hope this is your problem!

Regards,

RLI
:cheers!:

Yep. Official. Fuel pressure relief valve in rail sticking open, so run out of fuel. After stopping for a while it closes runs for short time then sticks open again.
New fuel rail with valve internal ordered from Spain where they are put together.Time ???
Nissan have given me use of New Navara D40 2.5ltr and are fitting electric brakes for me to tow with. So can't worry about trip now . Will let all know as time goes by.

Yep. Official. Fuel pressure relief valve in rail sticking open, so run out of fuel. After stopping for a while it closes runs for short time then sticks open again.
New fuel rail with valve internal ordered from Spain where they are put together.Time ???
Nissan have given me use of New Navara D40 2.5ltr and are fitting electric brakes for me to tow with. So can't worry about trip now . Will let all know as time goes by.

Good onya mate,

It is great to get a proper diagnosis; it is the not knowing that frustrates us all.

This hopefully will now allow you to enjoy your 550 Navara.

Remember this! Life is like a piece of shit, it is great until you step in it!

Regards,

RLI
:cheers!:

stx-550 fuel rail

Got vehicle back finally on Friday 10/2. New fuel rail & pipes fitted from spain
Seems OK now. Now starts the job of claiming for all the expense paid out for incorrect diagnosis and out of pocket expenses.
Kingyfisher

That's not a problem I've seen in a long time (although others might have). The pre-80s Jaguar XJS 5.3L V12s had a big issue with the fuel rail getting hot and vapour-locking. Talking with the particular Jaguar mechanic that I was using at the time, he said that there were a number of V-motors that had issues with heat in the well of the 'V', but the 5.3L Jag engine was more renown for leaking fuel around the injectors and, having the distributor just forward of centre of the 'V', the resulting fire was not unexpected.

Do you know WHY they replaced the fuel rail? Was it a heat problem in the rail?

Latest posts

Back