Remapping

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mrluver22

Reaction score
Hey guys I'm seeking some advice, on the benefits of a remap for my nav. I own the 6 speed Manual 4x4 LE D40 version. My issue is that on the open road when I open a bit of throttle it tops out at 165km at 4300rpm. Is this common because I know other guys here with the same model that get their up to 210km easy. So if I remap would it increase top end speed, and no I don't drive like that all the time.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1389559829594.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1389559829594.jpg
    39.8 KB
i think this is extremely irresponsible and these questions should not be placed on a forum as it sets a presidency of negative behaviour

i would suggest slightly editing your thread...

Its a mathematical equation.
Higher revs, or change the final gear.

The tune may lift the rev limiter to get it. Kaaabooom at 210klm/h will leave bits a Nissan for a long way.

If your car can do 35km/h above the top speed limit in the country I'd suggest it's working perfectly.

However, from a technical viewpoint for those considering racing the 550 (on an official racecourse, not in a Coles car park), there are some limiting factors.

1) The engine is governed. It will NOT rev past a certain level, apparently. I've never tried it, but then 130km/h (with caravan on the back, with my puny 4cyl 2.5L diesel) is more than enough.

2) The engine is governed for TWO reasons. First, to prevent over-revving which can be catastrophic anyway. Second, because diesel fuel takes a certain amount of time to burn and there reaches a point where the engine is revving so fast that the fuel hasn't finished burning by the time the exhaust valve opens and the piston is climbing again. It makes no sense to try and over-rev a diesel for that very reason.

3) Gearing. Diesel engines are capable of propelling race cars at speeds over 300km/h (see Wiki article on the Audi R10 here). They still don't rev high - so the difference MUST be in the gearing. The Navaras (even the V6 diesel) is NOT geared for top speed. They're designed so that at marginally under 100km/h (actual speed, not indicated) the engine is sitting at the top of the torque curve climb. Beyond this point in the torque curve, more torque is generated but at a much greater cost in fuel. The most efficient point to operate the engine is at the top of the steep torque climb - in the 4cyl that's 2,000rpm and in the V6 it's 1,700rpm. If you want your car to go faster you need to change this gearing - there's no other alternative.

I do believe that Eastern Creek Raceway allows street vehicles on the track (for a fee). You could enquire with them and legitimately see what kind of top end your car's capable of.

Thanks for the reply guys, yes it is agreed that posting how fast your nav can go or even attempt to push your nav over the speed limit is irresponsible. I was wondering if mines had a problem since it was limited to 165km, when other nav owners here claim 210km-220km

To clarify there are technically both correct - there are two diesels in D40 range - 2.5 4cyl in various states of tune and V6 3.0 which is 170kW /550 Nm l
170 km/h is what 2.5 diesel will top out at so there is nothing wrong with your car. V9X Navara will do around 210 km/h.
With 7 speed gearbox 550 has more options to pick optimum gear for the conditions and required speed. To go faster you generally modify the engine first than change gearing to suit if needed. Gearing is generally picked to best utilise the engine torque/power curves.

Last edited:
To clarify there are technically both correct - there are two diesels in D40 range - 2.5 4cyl in various states of tune and V6 3.0 which is 170kW /550 Nm l
170 km/h is what 2.5 diesel will top out at so there is nothing wrong with your car. V9X Navara will do around 210 km/h.
With 7 speed gearbox 550 has more options to pick optimum gear for the conditions and required speed. To go faster you generally modify the engine first than change gearing to suit if needed. Gearing is generally picked to best utilise the engine torque/power curves.

Absolutely spot on - but because this was posted in the D40-550 area, I immediately assumed we were talking about a 550. If it's not a 550, I will move the thread to remove the confusion.

Actually, re-reading the original post, it's a 6-speed manual. The 550 to my knowledge only came in a 7-speed tiptronic, so in a few moments I'll get energetic and move this thread to the normal D40 engine area.

It's a restriction on engine - if you want to go faster you might want to get a proper ECU and supporting mods - remapping will give you small change even you remove restricted speed

Old.Tony and Sumodog made some great contributions on the top speed of these utes, I've tried using a performance chip (Race Chip Ultimate) and all it does was made the acceleration quicker. Checked info on getting a remap done but it seems that my Engine ecu(Denso AT), cannot be unlocked at this moment only the(Denso D3 and 2H) can be remapped. So I'll just keep my nav stock for a the while.uploadfromtaptalk1389917307902.jpg

There's a mob in the UK that will do whatever you want to the ECU (they say). I believe the governor is part of that.

However, removing the governor won't help much. Because of the previously discussed issue about diesel taking time to combust properly, you cannot rev a diesel too high.

If you've got more power, give it taller legs (higher final drive ratio) and it'll go faster.

Thanks Old.Tony but I don't think a few more kilometers more on the speedo isn't worth pulling apart my gear box or diff .

Last edited:
Here's a diesel doing a bit of speed.

[YT]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3gxNc0GpN2U[/YT]

Not enough? Try this one. I really like it:

[YT]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Snijqdzhm6U[/YT]

Here's a superb one that really lets you hear the engine and see the speed:

[YT]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_0R5kbWU7YQ[/YT]

It's all in the gears. If you take an R10 out for a drive, you have to keep more than 50% throttle when changing gears so that it doesn't stall, the gears are so far apart - but then the torque zone of the V12 is super wide too, so it can afford to do it.

Latest posts

Back