Newbie in Brisbane

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dusty55

Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

Just joined this forum, and what I see I like. In the process of searching & purchasing a D40 Dual Cab. Hoping to get a TD auto around the 2007 vintage. Anything I should look out for (apart from the usual wear & tear), and Toyota's? What sort of economy do you guys/gals get out of the 2.5TD with a auto box?

Cheers

Dusty55

that is a whole different can of worms. Do a quick search on "Fuel Consumption" there is many different readings out there. Very dependant on how you drive it also. Won't go into it here..

Welcome to the Forum....

If you get you awesome D40 (like mine, as all D40's are awesome) before March have a look in the Brisbane/QLD section of the forum and come along on some of the trips and meet a few lads and get some tips.

Welcome aboard!

My TD Auto uses typically about 12-13LPHK around town, down to about 10.5LPHK on the highway (not towing) and towing it'll get down to 15s. Was averaging 14s city, 11s highway and 18s towing, but found that a lighter foot - and letting the diesel torque its way up rather than cajoling it with the loud pedal - makes a helluva difference.

Thanks Biscuits and Young Tony, your comments are much appreciated. But what do I need to look for to determine if the ST-x is a good buy, rather than a good bye later on?

Different people will have different opinions on that question based on their own experiences or what they've heard so I don't think there is any definite answers. I think if you've done your homework and decided that an ST-X is the car for you and mechanically it checks out (use an independent mech if you need too) then it will be a good buy.

In general you are not buying a vehicle that is plagued with problems and anything major has probably been through a recall or brought to the previous owners attention by now if it's a well maintained car. I guess if you really need some assurance you could check the government recall website and see what recalls were issued on that model and confirm through the service book or stickers on the car that the recalls were done, otherwise I'm not sure one or two people saying the diff might fall out and the front tyres will go bald is definitive reasoning for not buying a vehicle that is mechanically fine.

The 2006 model had a couple of issues with the rear axle, but I believe the 2007 and onwards had no issues there. There was a recall that might affect the 2007 model (it got mine) regarding the bonnet catch being able to break and release the bonnet at speed on a rough road.

Other than that, there MIGHT be a DPF in the 2007 that would be worth talking to ChipIt about, ask for Robert and tell him you want a "DPF Delete Pipe" - that is, if the 2007 had a DPF (I don't know if it did, but if so, it's no big deal).

You should end up with a ute that has sufficient power and reliability for touring, nearly 1 tonne of carrying capacity (but take care there, the rear springs are a little under-rated for heavy loads).

The D40 is comfy on long hauls - reasonable quiet in the cabin too.

The D22 drivers here will tell you that the D40 isn't as capable off-road as theirs, then you'll have some D40 drivers say that the D22 resembles something lesser than the Model T and if I were you, I'd ignore all of that and treat it as playful banter.

The fact is that neither the D22 or D40 are terrible at off-roading, but both need some changes to do the harder stuff. They'll never be Baja bugs, but for getting out and away they're both equally good vehicles. The D40 has more creature comforts, smoother ride and more power, so if you're going to travel or tow, the D40 is the one to choose.

How do they rate against other utes? The Navara has a towing capacity equal to the Ford Ranger, Isuzu D-Max and Holden Colorado, all of which are superior to the Mishitbus Triton, Holden Rodeo, Ford Courier, Great Wall and Toyota Hilux. The Navara has more power and creature comforts than the competitors (of the same vintage). The Mishitbus does have a better ANCAP (crash testing) rating but I believe that's because of side air bags in the 2009 and later models.

If you're after a ute, the D40 is probably the pick of the bunch.

Service costs might give you a jolt - every 40,000km it'll cost near a grand, and the others are $200-$400 inbetween (every 10,000km). You can shop around though, just make sure that oil gets changed regularly and the coolant hasn't died, because your turbocharger depends on both. Oh, maybe invest in an EGT gauge too ... no matter the choice in vehicle.

If you're after a 4WD - you'll find that the Nissan range is not shabby at all, and it really comes down to how much money you can throw at the vehicle and driver ability.

It depends on what you want to get out of it. We bought our D40 Dual Cab STX brand new, and haven't regretted any of it.

Latest posts

Back