Navara Engines

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That's a can of worms you're openng there mate. The yd25 is pretty good but some grizzle about timing chains. The new V6 550 is also good, so far. The ZD30 is very reliable. So I guess you need to give us some more info about what you need and are willing to spend so we can help some more.

need to ecominical but with the ability to tow a double horse float if necessary. Not sure if new is the better option have heard a few rumours that the 3l blow up. but 2.5l have more power problems. needs to be a diesel.

There's been no grizzles about the v6 diesel engine (if there were any they'd turn up here) - its economical and powerful. The YD25 does alright but there's a timing chain issue in some - economy and power seem ok. All D40s have BS cluthes/flywheel so auto is your pick there.

D22 is basic but proven & like I said the ZD is very reliable if you can get one with low km (last built in 2006 or there abouts).

The v6 diesel 550 would be my pick for floating. Heaps of power and better economy than the yd25.

the timing chain issues in the yd25 was mainly in the pathfinders
zd30 is a great engine if you fit an intercooler
yd25 in the d22's is a bit underpowered(detuned) easily fixed with chip and exhaust to bring it up to d40 power specs
the yd25 in the d40's is a good setup
the v6 is still fairly new,so theres not a huge amount of feedback on them yet
i have driven a few and they certainly have some grunt
i would however question the statment made above that it has better economy than the yd25
i spose it all comes down to cost
the d22 sells for 30k driveaway
yd25 d40 about $40k
v6 d40 about 50k

Last edited:
Welcome to the forum.

As they've said. The V6 diesel has had a couple of minor issues - nothing with the major part of the engine - early models had turbocharger hose weaknesses and recently some EGR valve failures have come to light. The V6 diesel ONLY comes in auto and the programming is not ideal for steep descents but otherwise it pulls better than a 13 year old schoolboy.

The 4cyl YD25 diesels come in 3 different varieties: the 140kW, 126KW (both in the D40) and the 96kW in the D22 - as Ian says, add a chip and the D22 has similar power to the D40, but the D22 has a shorter dual cab (less rear leg room, difficult to put a baby seat).

All of them tow 3T. I don't understand why the V6 diesel can't pull 3.5T - the bloody Pathfinder can.

They're all quite capable off-road. The D22s are slightly narrower and have a shorter wheelbase which makes the D40 better for towing. The D40s also make better cruisers because their seats are better - nothing you can't fix with a spanner, just ask Sparra.

There are some other technical differences (like ABS application & usage, 4WD engagement etc) but they're all sturdy, proven, reliable vehicles. You'll get lemons out there, for sure - but for the number of Navaras on the road, the number of complaints are relatively small.

Oh, as for the 3L grenading - that was more the 4cyl 3L that was used in the Patrol and the newer (fixed) version used in the Navaras. You'd only get one second hand now.

Latest posts

Back