loss of power when towing

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

poogie

Reaction score
:violin2:navara stx d40 2.5 td spain built autom 2008 ,loss of power when towing a boat that just on 2000pds when driving uphills i have read some posts on the subject of limp mode any thing from dirty fuel to hot gear box temp can put it in limp mode ,the truck would only do 60kmh and was blowing little puffs of black smoke wouldnt be tubo probs would it ,and is there a d i y fix or is a trip to nissan just had its 90,000 s done, any one got fix regards rob

:violin2:navara stx d40 2.5 td spain built autom 2008 ,loss of power when towing a boat that just on 2000pds when driving uphills i have read some posts on the subject of limp mode any thing from dirty fuel to hot gear box temp can put it in limp mode ,the truck would only do 60kmh and was blowing little puffs of black smoke wouldnt be tubo probs would it ,and is there a d i y fix or is a trip to nissan just had its 90,000 s done, any one got fix regards rob

My friend had a similar problem with his D40 and it only happened up hills. Took it to the dealer and they tested it hooked up to a computer and the outcome was the fuel filter. Replaced it and he has towed a 5th wheeler around Australia and no problem.

Welcome to the forum.

It's possible that it's the fuel filter, but it's also possible - especially given the age of the vehicle - that the turbocharger vacuum hoses are starting to go solid or crack. If they're hard they won't seal nicely, the actuator loses vacuum and the turbocharger won't produce as much boost as you need - and when you're towing up hill, you need it the most.

It's a cheap and easy fix - buy some replacement hosing, re-fit all of the vacuum hosing.

I've got a 2012 d40 st spain built and they just had a recall on them for what sounds like that exact problem, dont know if could relate to a 2008 model.
It was something to do with a exhaust sensor saying the turbo was to hot and causing the the waste gate to open and release all the boost.
I'd be taking it to a nissan dealer.

Cheers Gav.

Your dealer may have made a slight mistake regarding the D40. While there's an EGT sensor in the 2012 models that I know of, there might be an EGT sensor in the 2010 140kW engine but both - and the 2008 D40 - run variable vane turbochargers - no waste gate.

What kills the boost in the older cars is loss of vacuum due to faulty vacuum hoses on the turbocharger actuator. The 2010 140kW engine received an electronic actuator rather than vacuum-operated and the early versions of these had reliability issues causing them to not operate the vanes properly. From what I've heard, those issues were fixed in 2011 and cars since then have had good actuators.

There has been a recall on some cars for their EGT sensors which could cause overheating issues, but since there's no EGT sensor on early 2010 or prior models this won't be poogie's problem.

I wish they had an EGT sensor in our cars, then we might be able to query it with our smartphone apps!

My 2012 did the same thing friday night when towing a car trailer with a stato on. Interestuing to say it was only on that hill amost like stage 1 limp mode.

Latest posts

Back