Looking at buying a 2005 d40

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

carltonfc01

Reaction score
Hi

New to the forum so sorry if this topic has been discussed to death had a quick search and couldnt find what i was looking for.

Basically im looking at getting a used D40 probably around 2005/2006. I have never owned a 4x4 before and was just after some advice as to what i should be looking out for and if there are some problems that are common.

Also not sure if i should be looking at getting a petrol or diesel. I most likely wont be doing much off road work (possibly a couple of weekends a year) so if most of the drive in on road should i be looking at getting a petrol? What sort of km's would a petrol engine be good for v's a diesel?

Anyway any advice or tips would be appreciated.

Cheers

Welcome to the forum!

The service costs of a diesel are a little higher, but you will find the petrol version will spend more time at the bowser. Figures we've seen for not-towing are around 10-13LPHK for the diesel, and 15-18LPHK for the petrol. With 10,000km between diesel services and potentially 500 litres of fuel saved in that time you're $700+ ahead between each service.

The petrol does have more power - and so it should, it's a V6 and should be about 4L capacity, compared to the 2.5L 4-cylinder diesel.

The diesel is more sensitive to poor fuel, but with that said, I've had mine across half of Australia and even buying some fuel from a remote station didn't seem to bother it. Water is the biggest problem, because it can get past the filter whereas chunks of hot dog (that's a joke for Michael the salesman) won't.

If you're going to take it off-road then you might be better served by getting the diesel. Install a snorkel and get it sealed up properly so that you can do it wet or dry. Add a wading bra, some proper rated recovery points front and rear and you're right to go.

Have a look through the garages here for what people have done to their vehicles!

As for things to look out for - the 2006 D40 had rear axle issues, which were covered by a recall from Nissan. Make sure yours was done.

Thanks for the replys. I think the main thing im worried about is what the performace is going to be like on the road. My current car is a xr8 falcon so either way theres going to be a big drop in performance but if the petrol version has significantly more power i might tend towards getting a petrol.

Does anyone know how many km's a 4L V6 should be good for before a rebuild would be on the cards.

Also just an opinion on auto vs manual. Im guessing a manual is going to be better for going off road so should i only be looking at manuals or would a auto be alright too?

Also just an opinion on auto vs manual. Im guessing a manual is going to be better for going off road so should i only be looking at manuals or would a auto be alright too?

most would say auto is actually better offroad.

coming from a barra beast u might be a bit of a lead foot and go through a few clutches so...either get manual and if u have too many issues then solid fw conversion might help or yea go auto

Thanks for the replys. I think the main thing im worried about is what the performace is going to be like on the road. My current car is a xr8 falcon so either way theres going to be a big drop in performance but if the petrol version has significantly more power i might tend towards getting a petrol.

Does anyone know how many km's a 4L V6 should be good for before a rebuild would be on the cards.

Manuals burn clutches when they're worked hard. Autos shine in that department, particularly compared to the dual mass flywheel-equipped manuals as has already been mentioned. If you want a manual, go right ahead, but budget in a change to a solid flywheel asap.

If you're expecting to get the performance anything near a vehicle with 3x the engine and half the weight had then you are going to be severely disappointed. Any of the modern utes struggle to reach 200km/h without modification and most would only see that speed in the cargo hold of a transport plane.

Diesel engines are built stronger to last longer - they're workhorses. However, like any horse, if you flog it to death you won't be riding it in the morning. Doesn't matter what you feed it, a dead horse is a dead horse. You could treat a petrol gently and have it last a good long while too - it really does come down to driving style, servicing and whether you're trying to reach a destination, or race someone to the next set of lights.

Latest posts

Back