Leaking ARB Canopy

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

reg rabbit

Reaction score
Hi, First time poster - long time reader, I have just had a ARB canopy installed on D40 ST 2010 Model. already been back to ARB for leak repairs, some repairs not all they are stating leaks are coming from front of ute tub/tray and is a common problem in all navaras. Has anyone had the same problem?
Hosed car myself found the leaks are coming from front seal, think trying to blame car instead of installation?:sad:

Welcome to the forums.

There used to be manufactured gaps on the front wall of the tub and the gaps seemed to vary in size depending on the day the car was made. I know there was a thread about it ages ago because I doctored a few images to show where the gaps were but I can't remember which thread it was.

Yes, and my D22 does the same. Even though I glued new weather seals right the way around, it still leaks somehow in both front corners. I was thinking of getting some of that black spray sealer plumbers use and sealing the gap from the inside. might work, might not, but having rags pushed up the front to catch the drips is a pain.

I cop it in my '22 and can't figure out how to keep it out. Even the bloody dust gets in there! Btw I had a sliding tonneau. Full drainage setup though my straps still get wet at the back of the tray

I'm fairly sure you guys will find that the D40 thread I refer to above about leaking tubs also has one or two D22 owners complaining of the same thing and their solution. I think this because I know the photo I edited was of a D22 tub but they were similar enough to compare both.

I know which pic I am thinking about but it would take me too long weeding through my server logs to find out which thread it's linked too, not sure if the admin gurus can do something quicker and easier.

When I had my ARB canopy installed, they filled the gaps in the tub (not between the tub & the canopy) with silicone.

I sometimes get a little water in there but nothing that worries me. I was expecting a lot worse or maybe I just have not had the right storm.

I seem to remember someone (and it may be in the thread I remember) using that expandable foam stuff.

You've also gotta look past the canopy fitting as well, if you stick your fingers up underneath the lip of the tub and run them from front to back, you'll feel 4 big punched out holes in the inner lining, these DO let water in. And at the back of the top of the tail lights, and right at the front of the tub. There's plenty of places where water gets in.

Now I am buggered. OT again.

When I wash underneath the rear left wheel arch near the fuel filler, Mr Nissan has stuck in a bit of open cell foam (sea sponge sort of open cell).

Wtf is that for? To hold water or mud?

Yes, and my D22 does the same. Even though I glued new weather seals right the way around, it still leaks somehow in both front corners. I was thinking of getting some of that black spray sealer plumbers use and sealing the gap from the inside. might work, might not, but having rags pushed up the front to catch the drips is a pain.

Mine (ARB) also leaks in the front corners above the wheel arches, i am convinced it is actually the tub leaking where the joins in the corners are. I have tried to silicone them in the hope it might stop leaking and even had a failed attempt at removing the canopy to find the leak. In the end it still dribbles in, i guess i will find where its getting in one day when it annoys me enough.

Hi, First time poster - long time reader, I have just had a ARB canopy installed on D40 ST 2010 Model. already been back to ARB for leak repairs, some repairs not all they are stating leaks are coming from front of ute tub/tray and is a common problem in all navaras. Has anyone had the same problem?
Hosed car myself found the leaks are coming from front seal, think trying to blame car instead of installation?:sad:

Hi mate, I just discovered I have the same issue! :-(
How did you get it fixed in the end?
I'm not sure if it is worth it to take to Nissan and complain about.
My car is only few months old, sure it is down to poor designing....

Please let me know, many thanks

Same issue here! Very sad, looks like a poor design. How did you guys get it fix?
Is it worth it to take back to Nissan?
Help please!

I personally would not take mine back to Nissan.

My view is that by vitue of the fact it is a ute, the tub was never designed to be water (or dust) tight.

Others might have a different opinion.

hey guys,

I have had my ARB canopy for a few months now and mine is leaking in the same place ( front 2 corners and also the odd leak above the rear of the wheel arch ).
I have wanted to go back to have it fixed but will prob end up doing it myself somehow.

I also wouldn't take a canopy issue back to Nissan. Nissan just get the local ARB rep to fit the canopies therefore their ability to actually fix issues with the installation would be fairly limited.

I decide to fix it by self. I'm going to remove the tub and install a strip a rubber 200 x 2 all across the front of the tub to prevent the water entering any of those hole. Furthermore I'll fill up those big opening in the front corners with polyurethane foam polyurethane foam to dust proof it.
I'll try to take some pictures to post them.
Cheers

If you've got a D40 and want it dust proof don't forget to seal the gaping holes around the tail gate that Nissan thoughtfully install for ventilation purposes.

The gaps at the front of the tub MUST be sealed before the canopy is installed to have any hope of stopping water getting in.

Clear silicone is the best way. Get in there under the corners and pump it through until the gaps are sealed.

Ive had a few come back over the years with leaks even when we sealed them up, and its always been down to the rubber seal not doing its job in one spot.

i was about to fit an arb canopy ($3100 fitted with racks)
i had a good look at one yesterday and can see why they leak
ime off to have a better look at tjm's canopys
dont like the ironman canopy,you loose too much space with the sloping rear window
has anyone had issues with tjm canopys ??
cheers
sparra

Latest posts

Back