Heres why you NEED the EGR blanking and catchcan...

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
hi i want to do the egr mod
please i need some info
very time i read about the mod
its ends with talking about other ways to do the mod
or a different car or mod
where exactly do you put
the blank
in pipe near the stater battery
like when standing in front of engine
the left hand side (drivers side )
on a d22 str cdr
please how do make a catch can or buy one
how to connect one ?
do you need a catch can or not ?
sorry need to be sure before i start

thanks

tomski said:
hi i want to do the egr mod
please i need some info
very time i read about the mod
its ends with talking about other ways to do the mod
or a different car or mod
where exactly do you put
the blank
in pipe near the stater battery
like when standing in front of engine
the left hand side (drivers side )
on a d22 str cdr
please how do make a catch can or buy one
how to connect one ?
do you need a catch can or not ?
sorry need to be sure before i start

thanks

There is a million threads on everything you have asked. Use search.

Tomski: you can put a blanking plate on either end of the EGR pipe, it doesn't matter, once one end is blocked the flow will stop. Imagine gluing one end of a straw shut - no matter which end you try to blow in afterwards, all you'll do is puff up your cheeks and go red. With yours being a 2011 model, I'm not sure if they added a sensor for the EGR flow. If you do the mod and it brings on your check engine light, drill a 4 to 6mm hole in the middle of the blanking plate and try again. Older models didn't need this because they just trusted that the EGR would flow.

As for the catch can, yes it's a good idea. Just buy one, mount it in FRONT of the radiator and buy oil-capable hose to extend the PCV hosing. Later, you might like to put some stuff inside the catch can to help the oil condense in there. There are threads on this with some GREAT pics, search for "catch" will find a lot but if you search for "catch AND stainless" you'll get quite a few good threads, in particular this one with some fantastic pictures on the kind of mod that will work.

Did you end up doing this mod ? and if so did you have to drill the 4mm hole to prevent the engine management light activating?

I have a 2010 str and have done the blanking mod, I blocked off both ends. I can't see them having changed the management system between then and now, but I haven't had any issues with check engine lights in the almost 25000 km I have had it in for

I did the mod this afternoon...used 1mm 316L s/s..looks like the original when assembled-ie has the tags on the ends..-will post pics later on. I never drilled the 4mm hole.

The OE gasket is a 3 layer sandwich made from s/s..its 0.6mm thick

drove the car and noticed SFA difference in performance---seat of the pants that is.

I'll get the OE gasket drawn up and post for those wanting to make their own in future

Gazza, when the throttle is flat to the boards, there's no difference between a blocked and unblocked EGR because the valve doesn't open at full throttle.

It only affects the mid-range, so you'd only really notice it if you drive it more sedately - and still, it's a subtle difference.

I was of the understanding that the gum forms when oil from the crankcase mixes with hot exhaust gas from the EGR, so theoretically, blocking the EGR pipe negates the need for a catchcan ?

A catch can is still useful, as the intercooler will cause some of the oil vapour to condense into a liquid and the oil then sits in the bottom of the intercooler, reducing its effectiveness by a small amount.

oil is fuel and can cause other problems. also it can combine with the fine dust that gets through the air filter and makes sludge.

Gazza, when the throttle is flat to the boards, there's no difference between a blocked and unblocked EGR because the valve doesn't open at full throttle.

It only affects the mid-range, so you'd only really notice it if you drive it more sedately - and still, it's a subtle difference.

Thanks Tony ..yip understood that from the start--and was commenting on what I noticed and compared to others reports.
I never mentioned running flat out and my comments are part throttle transition

I just did mine this arvo, 2011 auto STX DC. I wasn't expecting to feel anything so I wasn't disappointed. Although, it should help it run a bit more efficiently.

I'm going to play around with a boost gauge and manual boost controller tomorrow to dial in another 2psi of boost to see if it goes into any limp mode. Seeing as though they run notoriously rich from factory, another 2psi is nothing to it and should provide a seat of the pants improvement with no more diesel usage.

hey all after owner my D22 for 5yrs im still learning bout diesals. this EGR valve mod u talk of. anyone wanna give me more info on it. i have put a catch can on the recirc pipe from the rocker-intake turbo pipe cause each week that side of the engine is covered in oil residue.

Hi Snoopy. The EGR mod removes exhaust gas from the air that is going into the engine - it's put there to dampen the combustion a little and reduce the creation of nitrogen oxides.

Block the EGR = no more dampening of the combustion = slightly more power, slightly better economy, less smoke out of the exhaust.

As Tony said, it's all slight differences and all worthwhile but one bigger difference is how much better the oil keeps between changes, I've found it quite noticeable.

Latest posts

Back