Fuel Consumption Whinge

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah thats like those magical cars that get better economy at 130kph than they do at 100kph which makes a good argument for increasing speed limits.

Im sitting on 729km at the moment and it has just gone between the 1/4 mark and the red line. so all going well should crack 800km
Thats stock wheels and suspension, fitted with ARB canopy and roof racks with a ladder on at all times

^ and that ladder would be a real drag - I know my rack is. Barring the rack, my biggest variables are 1) my right boot and 2) abiotic factors (weather & road conditions).

Well, just read that the Nissan brochure quotes the D40 gets 9.8l/100Km's, so with bigger tyres, a winch, 2nd battery and 2" of lift I reckon my figures are pretty good.

I'm happy and that's all that matters ;-)

Well I filled it tonight just as the fuel light came on. 779km off 65.01L

That's 8.3l/100K's, that's better than what's quoted in the Nissan brochure.

What type of driving do you do? Open road, city streets, mix??

How many K's on the clock??

I still have to keep the juice on going down hill or I slow down, so the motor may still be a bit tight, but after 43,000 I thought it would have loosened up by now???

Last edited:
Don't forget Nissan's (any manufacturers) figures are based on a computer simulation that all cars go through so as to make the test equal for all cars, none of the figures are actually based on real world driving so therefore at best they could be a guide but realistically they shouldn't even be taken into account.

Yep, I don't know how or where they get those figures from, it was something I was going to look into but haven't.

The dick from Cars Guide (and other HWT papers) has written several articles on it which I'm sure are published online somewhere, but the basic theory is. Each manufacturer offers up their specs, torque, revs, etc etc etc etc (and probably heaps more etcs) and from those figures the consumption calculations are made. That way all cars are done on the same test bed, with the same conditions and no interfering factors, that also means the figures are fanciful and unrealistic of all conditions. It doesn't mean they aren't achievable but it does mean they should be taken with a grain of salt.

The figures were only ever made because government regulation required each manufacturer to advertise a figure and that figure had to be done by an independent tester not the manufacturers themselves not because the manufacturers wanted to brag about how economical their cars were

Once upon a time nufti salesmen used to tell customers about how the figures were done on a closed track, that the driver was a light footed fairy and other such stupid things in all an effort to try and convince customers that if their new car didn't obtain the same figures it was because of the testing not their driving. But decent salesmen (of which are few and far between) stopped talking such shit to people and started using the truth and advising people why the figures weren't always achievable instead of blaming it on the light footed fairy.

I got my car in March and has 11,800km on it. Most of my driving is stop start suburb driving with the odd highway drive to go motorbike riding so that will be towing a trailer with 2 bikes. I should also add that most of the time i have between 5-20 fire extinguishers in the back for work.

Always getting at least 680km from 65L

Yeah dual Cab.
I work as a fire tech, so carry brand new extinguishers every day. most of the time they are 4.5kg and 9kg type. thats just powder weight. Plus tools etc

Hi folks

An interesting thread. The other thing to remember is that there is a Diesel Particulate Filter (DPF) filter on the autos. This little monster sucks juice and decreases performance. So...make sure you do a DPF "regeneration" run if your vehicle is running sluggish or getting poor economy. This means a good hard run for at least 20 minutes. Sadly the process itself dumps diesel into the DPF to burn and regenerate...wasting more fuel. Alternatively do a DPF delete...illegal but...

The other thing to remember is that the DPF under most circumstances uses SFA diesel and decreases performance so greatly that 95% of DPF uses don't even know the regen is happening.

The other thing to remember is that the DPF under most circumstances uses SFA diesel and decreases performance so greatly that 95% of DPF uses don't even know the regen is happening.

Love it Krafty.......and exactly my view irt my 2008 auto. Bugger is a bit thirstier than I'd like, especially when towing, but hey it is only money after all :)

Latest posts

Back