Engine sounds different after snorkel fitted

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jase

Reaction score
Hi All,

I just had a factory Nissan snorkel fitted to my '10 D22 and now when I am in third (or any gear for that matter) and around 2300RPM the engine sounds a little throatier/different than previously.

Is this normal after a snorkel is fitted? Doesn't seem to lack power, etc just sounds different. The only other thing is I had a 10k service done at the same time so trying to figure out if they did something in the service or the snorkel is what has caused the change. Not overly concerned about it - just curious.

Jase

It would be the snorkel sucking in air, drive with your passenger window down and have a listen.

Personally i love the sound

Yep - that is normal - air being sucked in.

Fit a K&N filter and it sounds even better.

I got my snorkel fitted when new. At first I thought the slight whistle\air rush sound was the turbo spooling, but then realised it's just the snorkel sucking in the air. I like it, except it makes me plant the accelerator at every safe opportunity just to make the sound!

It's a normal sound, called "induction noise". You could say it is the noise that it makes when the engine sucks, but it's not a Hyundai, so it's just induction noise.

Ridgie - How much is a K&N filter? Does it make much difference to performance?

yea iv got a k&n filter ($110 fleabay)...certainly makes the turbo whistle beautifully...in terms performance, slightly. but when i go bush (bulldust country) i throw in the paper filter...its not rocket science with k&n...slightly bigger holes with oil hoping to catches the dust particles...i dont think it collects as much as a paper filter.

Ridgie - How much is a K&N filter? Does it make much difference to performance?

I think, from memory, I paid about $95-00 from Bursons. Make sure you get the right one.

They do increase performance slightly.

They do require regular maintenance with a cleaning kit - approx $25-00 which should last quite a few cleans. (I made the mistake of over oiling the first time - a bit messy).

I agree with nismo4x4 - under heavy dust conditions - I would fit a paper one and throw it away when finished. I always have a spare paper one at home to fit while the K&N is cleaned and re-oiled.

The million dollar question - would I get one again? Not entirely convinced but I probably would. The biggest issue is fitting it in the current airbox on my 2006 D22 - bloody tight fit and there is a slight gap around the airbox seal which I don't like.

Anyway - that's the short answer!!

Yeah I had a safari fitted to mine 2 days ago, I noticed a different sound but actually sounded like the snorkel was expelling air so I put my hand over the head and it really felt like air was coming out.

After a little more checking I not only found that by covering the inlet completely the engine would continue running but also where the head connects to the main body of the snorkel, I'm sure air was coming out and not in. Can this be the case ?

Hi Navvic,

If you put your hand over the snorkel head it should try suck your hand in, you'll hear the air rushing past your fingers. Have you tried to put a plastic bag over the head? (It should pop it instantly... not sure if this is common practice but that's how a few mates and I do it.)

If they haven't sealed the snorkel properly where it could be letting air in elsewhere.. you'll see under the bonnet where the snorkel connects to the cyclone filter..

Hi Navvic,

If you put your hand over the snorkel head it should try suck your hand in, you'll hear the air rushing past your fingers. Have you tried to put a plastic bag over the head? (It should pop it instantly... not sure if this is common practice but that's how a few mates and I do it.)

If they haven't sealed the snorkel properly where it could be letting air in elsewhere.. you'll see under the bonnet where the snorkel connects to the cyclone filter..

I'll try the bag trick and see if that makes a difference but it certainly doesn't even try to suck my hands in.

Oh and they removed the cyclone so it's connected directly to the air filter.

Latest posts

Back