Driving with tailgate down

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scooba_285

Reaction score
just wondering if anybody knows if driving with the tail gate down can get you booked? (eg. motorbike in the back etc), i have heard you can because it obstructs the number plate

The number plate must be visible...

similar to...no one gets booked for having their foglights on 24/7, but its illegal

I got warned for it once because the cop said he couldn't see my number plate, which is fair enough coz you couldn't from most angles but at least he didn't book me.

i got it sorted out today, my new ktm 250 isnt as long as other bikes so i can lift the tail gate about 45 degrees. So i put an eye bolt about a foot infront of the tail gate and wrap it around it to hold it up

My mate just got a yami R1, plate is tucked well up under the rear fender, under no circumstances would I have thought it was legal but apparently it is, needs to be visible from 20ft out the back I'm told

I do it just about every sunday and passed plenty of cops on the way out to go riding and never had a problem........ but that doesnt mean you wont find a grump old traffic coppa trying to get his bonus!!! nice choice on the bike mate, 4 banga or 2 smoka ive got an 06 250sx 2 stoke i love it!!!!!

The quick and easy solution to the unseen number plate (which used to be legal in Vic) is to make one and hang it where it can be seen.

I do it just about every sunday and passed plenty of cops on the way out to go riding and never had a problem........ but that doesnt mean you wont find a grump old traffic coppa trying to get his bonus!!! nice choice on the bike mate, 4 banga or 2 smoka ive got an 06 250sx 2 stoke i love it!!!!!

mines alao a 2006 sx 250 but 4 stroke

if u can see the plate its legal... no rules for if the tailgate is down or anything....

had bikes in the backs of my utes most weekends for over 5 years..

my ss i had to lift the tailgate up to 45 degrees cos the plate was on the tailgate, allways stressd about this, but never caught. d40 has the plate on the rear step, so even with the tailgate down its 100% visable...

fine in S.A for obscured numberplate is $2400!!!!!! revenue raising at its worst.

Well not quite. The fine is $400 plus a $60 for the victims of crime levy however if one tries to challenge it it COULD be up to a maximum of $2500 but it looks good in the tabloids when they only print the big words.

Either way it's still a voluntary tax, those who choose not to break the law don't have to pay it.

Latest posts

Back