Driving with open tonneau cover

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

raysoo

Reaction score
Hi all,

I've recently purchased a new 2011 D40 ST Dual Cab with hard tonneau cover. I was wondering if it's ok to drive it open because I won't be able to close the lid due to large items and I don't want to remove all the time? Doe this do damage to the cover? Should I also be doing something to tie it down if I am driving it opened?

Also, how hard are they to take off and put back on?

Cheers,
Raymond

can be a bit awkward on your own to remove. easy with 2, just pop the struts off with a small screwdriver then twist and pull the 2 hinge pins out. i have travelled with the lid partially up, but lashed it down to stop it wobbling
eric

i have driven with my lid up due to dog in the back, the wind tends to blow lid back down but only slightly. its very easy to take the lid off with 2 people

Ive driven with mine up and unrestrained but was secondhand and already a bit bent and knocked around when I got it. Mine had new struts so at least it stays up pretty much.

If yours is newer, I'd be concerned about it splitting in it's weak spot (just forward of the centre line)? The black liner underneath seems most susceptible.

I made an aluminium frame to mount underneath mine and installed a power ram to open/close it from in the cab. I travel with it everywhere from closed to fully open and so far no issues at all.
Before I installed the opener I would leave mine unlocked and it would stay closed apart from when it was foggy or raining.Heavier air used to make it open .
Kinda scary driving down the highway at 120 and all of a sudden the view out the back window goes totally black .

I made an aluminium frame to mount underneath mine and installed a power ram to open/close it from in the cab. I travel with it everywhere from closed to fully open and so far no issues at all.
Before I installed the opener I would leave mine unlocked and it would stay closed apart from when it was foggy or raining.Heavier air used to make it open .
Kinda scary driving down the highway at 120 and all of a sudden the view out the back window goes totally black .

Hey Aussie, any chance of getting a couple of pics? Sounds ideal, as i always have my dog in the back, but i want to have it on to lock boards and fishing stuff in there as well... So far it sits in the garage collecting dust...

I will have to do some better pics but this will give you the idea

Hardcover2.jpg

trying ti insert a Youtube link but it doesnt wanna play
http://youtu.be/kgKG3yDFFHM

Last edited:
i cant see it being a problem, i see cars with the boot open driving around all the time but i would tie it down to stop it bouncing and possibly breaking

Thanks for That! sorry to be a pain in your ass, but thats what happens when you do something awesome and then put pictures up! My worry was that when i used rivets, they might pull through the plastic liner of the tonneau. Im looking at doing something similar, but without the subframe and using a fixed piece of aluminium that i can either have open, or closed. I couldnt be bother going through the rigmorol of connecting a power ram. That is a brilliant set up you have though...

Latest posts

Back