Clicking

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Locky g

Reaction score
Hey guys
When I have the hubs locked in but not in 4wd I get a clicking noise when turning ive replaced the cvs, the hubs , the breaks and the diff ( blew a drive shaft)
What else should I look for
Could it be something like transfer chain?
Could it be the wheel bearings?

The noise isn't there when in 4wd well not that I can hear anyway I got a lokka up front too

Any info is appreciated :)

If you've damaged a drive shaft there could be other things damaged and the transfer chain is a weak point.

If memory serves, you should be able to hoist the vehicle and turn the front propeller shaft by hand to make the transfer chain move. That should mimic what you're doing with the car.

If it's smooth to turn over the prop shaft and you hear a soft rattle from the transfer case, you have the answer - the chain. However, if it gets a little hesitant to turn the shaft at some point, you might have a broken/damaged gear.

It is possible for the wheel bearings to be damaged, jack the wheel up and check. Imagine the tyre is like a clock face - grab the tyre at 12 o'clock and at 6 o'clock (top and bottom) and try rocking the tyre. If there's any great movement here it could be wheel bearings or suspension mounts.

Now grasp the wheel at 9 o'clock and 3 o'clock (horizontal) and repeat. There should be some movement due to the steering but there shouldn't be any clicking. If there is, it could be wheel bearings, tie rod ends, loose/damaged steering rack.

I'm sure there are other things it could be but that's a start!

Keep us informed!

I would have said the lokka (assuming it's a 4wd systems lokka) as they make s ratcheting sound when one wheel is free wheeling. But if it started before you blew a diff it could be something else.

Try jacking up one front wheel, lock both hubs and try and turn the wheel that is jacked up. If it makes the same sound I'd say it's just the locker doing its thing

Latest posts

Back