Cape york august 2013!

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Looks like a quality trip with some quality people going ;) I just cant believe all the people keen to follow RLI, he will only get you int trouble :p. I am already in enough trouble with his better half for "advice" I have given him lol.

All jokes aside this should be a ball tearer of a trip and there are some rigs I have heard about that I will be keen to see in the flesh.

Hey mate - you got it spot on! Sooo looking forward to this. New lift, wheels and tyres this week and camper at the end of the month!

Jas

Mate can you please give me dates so i can arrange my fly in fly out roster. I will be definitely in this trip it has been on my bucket list for quite some time

G'evening mate!

I am sorry mate, we are not taking anymore participants for the August 2013 trip! At present we have 22 vehicles and we have had to split the trip into two groups.

PS, I look like i could be doing another trip in 2014. Otherwise put up a post to see if any other members on the forum are organising a trip this year!

Regards,

RLI
:rambo:

G'evening Trendsetters,

Please be advised that our August 2013 trip is fully booked out! Wait out for 2014 trip.

Regards,

RLI
:sniper:

G'evening Folks!

Time to start preparing your Check List fundamentals between now and the 30th July! Check list will be your new friend! It is a good discipline to have at your disposal!

By now your Check Lists should resemble something like these below!

Pre-trip preparation Check List!

Trendsetter’s make sure you fully service your vehicle before you leave i.e.

change the engine oil, change the oil filters, change the fuel and air filters, change or check gearbox/transfer case oils, change or check front and rear diff oils, check the brake and clutch fluids, change engine coolant, water hoses and the fan belts, check the brakes and brake lines, check and repack the wheel bearings and front hubs, check and replace any wet seals. Check the exhaust and exhaust brackets, check fuel tanks for any leaks, check and replace the windscreen wiper blades and fill your windscreen bottle with clean water. Check your battery, if it is more than 3 years old replace it. Check your vehicles lights, indicators and brake/tail lights. Check that your trailer plug is working correctly.

Suspension and tyres Check List!

Fit quality suspension and tyres, (avoid “farking” cheap crap!) This will help elevate any potential disasters when travelling over the hundreds of kilometers of severe corrugations. (Remember what you pay is what you get when it comes to suspension and tyres.) Check all your rubber bushes, Check your shocks for any leaks or worn rubber bushes. Check sway bar connect rubber bushes. Check tie rods. Check steering damper! Make sure you have the appropriate under-body protection, especially D40 Navaras! One of the biggest problems that damage tyres on the developmental road is if they are not made from a Light truck carcus, solid side walls. Radial ATR's will fall apart very quickly up on the Cape! Too low of a tyre pressure, they bag-out and get ripped to shreds on the sharp rocks that lay in the sides of the corrugations. Too high and they also get ripped to shreds by the protruding sharp rocks in the corrugations. When it comes to tyres please fit light truck tyres they are extremely tuff and more durable than there radial counter parts. Radial ATRs are too soft in the side walls and will definitely end up being “farking” corrugation bait for the developmental road. Make sure you carry 2 spare tyres for your vehicle. ie one new one on a rim and one second hand carcus stored on your roof rack!

Recovery gear and spares Check List!

Make sure you carry the basic recovery kit with you, the minimum you will need is, snatch strap, snatch block, rated d or bow shackles, air compressor, tyre puncture repair kit and a couple of spare inner tubes, a water bra/tarp-cover (especially for those “farking” ball tearing water crossings) a long handled shovel, high lift jack and or either an axe or a chainsaw. (If you are lucky enough a winch, this is not essential as many of us have winches!) Don’t forget to carry spare radiator hoses, fan belts. (If you have had your major service as suggested above, the old ones now become your spares.) Take with you an assortment of nut and bolts, especially suspension type i.e. shock absorber nuts, tie rod nuts, steering arm nuts. Suspension and tyre failures were the Peninsular Development Roads main culprit’s followed thirdly by battery failure.

Kitchen Check List

Purchase a Vacuum sealer to helps to preserve the freshness of your foods. About $50.00 from Big W. The hand-held ECO Vacuum Sealer works with specially designed super strong ECO Vacuum Seal Bags, these bags have a Zipper Closure and Air Valve. Fantastic for food storage in your portable fridges! Carry at least two rechargeable torches! Potable chairs, crockery, knifes,forks spoons, plates and cups. Tinned foods, can opener, B/Q. Gas bottled full. Cleaning gear! Rubbish bags, toilet rolls. 20 LT bucket for washing your clothes in!

Personal hygiene Check Lists!

Soap, tooth paste, tooth brush, shampoo,Deodorant, clothes!

First aid kit Check List!

1 Emergency First Aid Book
2 Triangular Bandages 110cm x 110cm
1 Crepe Bandage 5cm
1 Crepe Bandage 7.5cm
1 Crepe Bandage 15cm
1 Heavy Crepe 10cm
2 Combine Pads 20cm x 30cm
2 Combine Pads 10cm x 10cm
1 Wound Dressing No. 14
2 Non-Adherent Pads 7.5cm x 10cm
1 Burns Sheet Small
1 Bag Adhesive Strips (Bag of 50)
8 Antiseptic Swabs
3 Alcohol Swabs
1 Bag Antiseptic Steritube (Bag of 2)
2 Eye Pads Large
4 Saline Steritube 15ml
2 Saline Steritube 30ml
1 Hypo-Allergenic Tape 2.5cm x 9m
1 Bag Safety Pins (Bag of 12)
1 Pkt Disposable Splinter Probes (Pkt of 5)
1 Stainless Steel Sharp Forceps 12.5cm
1 Stainless Steel Sharp/Blunt Scissors 12.5cm
1 Emergency Shock Blanket
1 Pkt Paracetamol Tablets (Pkt of 12)
1 Stopitch 50g
1 Notepad and Pencil
1 Bag Disposable Nitrile Gloves (Bag of 2)
1 UP Sunscreen Tube 30+ 100g
1 Disposable Resuscomask
3 Sterile Gauze Swabs 7.5cm x 7.5cm
1 Bag Disposable Towels (Bag of 3)
1 Plastic Bag Medium

ARE YOUR STARTING TO THINK CHECK LISTS!

PS, after this trip, you will be squared away!

Regards,

RLI

G'evening mate!

I am sorry mate, we are not taking anymore participants for the August 2013 trip! At present we have 22 vehicles and we have had to split the trip into two groups.

PS, I look like i could be doing another trip in 2014. Otherwise put up a post to see if any other members on the forum are organising a trip this year!

Regards,

RLI

Ok now worries thanks mate

Check Lists!

G'day Trendsetters!

When it comes to Check Lists, I do not have all the answers, there is no right /wrong answers here! Just common sense!

The idea of this Check List post, is to get you folks out-there researching the internet, 4x4 magazines, 4x4 club websites or other forums to gather ideas from other peoples Check List! Then come back here and share us your Check-List version. The purpose of this exercise is all about researching and learning to create workable Check-lists before you go away on that long trip!

Research your info "Trendsetters" and show us what you come up with in the next month. We will implement all the good "Check Lists" to our trip and make this post a sticky for the forum and its members! This in now getting you into Cape York trip mode, part of the holiday experience is the planning and preparation phases!

PS, All the best with you research and draft new "Check Lists" for us all to use! 7 MONTHS AND COUNTING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Regards,

RLI

Hey mate, I downloaded this from BCF a while ago, not really Cape specific but may be a good start?

Attachments

• Camping%20Gear%20Checklist[1].pdf
    204.2 KB · Views: 202
Given that all you lucky bastards are travelling together, would be a good idea to share around the carrying of spare parts (hoses etc) and maybe spare tyres etc. Looking forward to reading about preparation and the actual trip, and I'm not even going!

My spares will include
Upper and lower rad hoses
Full set drive belts
Full set spare shocks
Chemiweld and liquid steel and plastic repair
Full set boost hoses (i/cooler)
2 spare tyres
Fuel and air filter
Oil and coolant
Full tool kit
Are we there yet

My spares will include
Upper and lower rad hoses
Full set drive belts
Full set spare shocks
Chemiweld and liquid steel and plastic repair
Full set boost hoses (i/cooler)
2 spare tyres
Fuel and air filter
Oil and coolant
Full tool kit
Are we there yet

Good onya Sparra!

You are right on the money mate!

PS, we have Scotty for any welding requirements. lol

Regards,

RLI

Sounds sooooo good. Get amped up very time I read a new post.
I can see I'll be buying stuff right up to the date we leave. The whole "that looks like it might be good to have" type of thing. -And then Never need but will always have just incase...
Will be selling my arb old canopy to fund things. Watch this space.....(For sale section anyway)

Ok I haven't actually read thew whole thread as its gotten a little to long. Was just seeing if there were dates and a list of places stopping etc and days between stops etc. Have just thought about going without the minister this year then heading up in 2014 withthe brother and friends. Only reason for going would be cause it's a navara forum run and would be alto of fun. Need alto Korea detail though.rusty

Rusty the itinerary for the trip was on page 12 with the dates.
On page 18 it was mentioned that cutoff for interest was the end of december to make yourself a possible contender for the trip, and the end of January to confirm.

Im in no way in charge of the trip but im sure if someone drops out b4 the end of jan maybe you could take there spot. You would have to confirm this with RLI as the trip master general.

Counting days till we leave. :)

Rusty the itinerary for the trip was on page 12 with the dates.
On page 18 it was mentioned that cutoff for interest was the end of december to make yourself a possible contender for the trip, and the end of January to confirm.

Im in no way in charge of the trip but im sure if someone drops out b4 the end of jan maybe you could take there spot. You would have to confirm this with RLI as the trip master general.

Counting days till we leave. :)

Bah, that's cool. I think it may be to much 3 years running . Maybe worth just hitting the local spots this year hehe

Sorry RLI. I know I came into the group at the very last minute and I thank you for allowing us to join but after camping for the last week (have just got back) we have decided that we will have to pull out (as well as our other 3 friends) and do the trip when we had originally planned. (which was based loosley around the school hols in Sept as we have three young boys). Sorry for the inconenience and keep the great info coming. I have downloaded your planned itinary and am going to use it as a base to creat our own itinary.

Sorry RLI. I know I came into the group at the very last minute and I thank you for allowing us to join but after camping for the last week (have just got back) we have decided that we will have to pull out (as well as our other 3 friends) and do the trip when we had originally planned. (which was based loosley around the school hols in Sept as we have three young boys). Sorry for the inconenience and keep the great info coming. I have downloaded your planned itinary and am going to use it as a base to creat our own itinary.

G' evening Nathan,

Thanks for the heads-up mate! That is why i have given the possibles until the end of January! I am hoping to have a few more to pull the pin by the start of the trip, that way it makes it more manageable.

PS, all the best with your trip in September! You will have a ball!

Regards,

RLI

Present touring list!

1.Paul (RLI) & family DEFINITE!
2. Apollofish DEFINITE!
3. Bryan (04silverSTR) DEFINITE!
4. Bryce DEFINITE!
5. Sparra (sparra04) DEFINITE!
6. Luke (luke91) DEFINITE!
7. lorrieandjas DEFINITE!
8. nissannewby (200 killer wasps) DEFINITE!
9. Joshman (DEFINITE!)
10. GU Camper (DEFINITE!)
11. Scott (scottybobcat) (DEFINITE!)
12. Gunning1987: (Possible)
13. Nathan (lunn86) (Possible)
14. Jason D40 (Possible)
15. Zanick (Possible)
16. Tony-mate of Joshman's (Possible)
17. Luke 91 mate (Possible)

Because of the large numbers, i have decided to have 2 touring groups. We finalise these groups by the 31st January 2013.

We will stagger the start times of the groups by 1 day or 24 hours apart. example, group one will leave Port Douglas on the 3rd of August, Group 2 on the 4th August.

The reason for this is twofold, firstly, when we hit the developmental road, we will be travelling at intervals of between 100 to 200 meters apart from vehicle to vehicle, so that we are not all travelling in one another's dust. Secondly, should we decide to do the Telegraph track, it is easier for 9 to 11 vehicles traveling and camping-up on the track than 22. It will be impossible to get 22 vehicles parked at Fruit-bat falls.

However, both groups will finally meet up at Punsand bay resort and we can get a group photo at the Tip together!

Group 1

1. Paul (RLI) & family DEFINITE!
2. Apollofish DEFINITE!
3. Bryan (04silverSTR) DEFINITE!
4. Bryce DEFINITE!
5. Sparra (sparra04) DEFINITE!
6. lorrieandjas DEFINITE!
7. nissannewby (200 killer wasps) DEFINITE!
8. GU Camper (DEFINITE!)
9. Scott (scottybobcat) (DEFINITE!)

Group 2

1. Joshman (DEFINITE!)
2. Tony-mate of Joshman's (Possible)
3. Gunning1987: (Possible)
4. Luke (luke91) DEFINITE!
5. Luke 91 mate (Possible)
6. Jason D40 (Possible)
7. Nathan (lunn86) (Possible)
8. Zanick (Possible)

The (Possibles) and on our tour list have until the 31st January 2013 to advise if they will be (DEFINITES!) so i can organise booking the various camp sites. Any of the remaining (Possibles) who fail to notify us by the January deadline. Are still welcome to come along. However, they will have to organise there own campsite and accommodation bookings.

Trendsetters, PLEASE PM your contact phone numbers and your state and areas from where you come from to Jas, That way Jas could put a contact list together and then PM them back to the DEFINITES.

This will allow you to contact one another and formally introduce yourselves to one another! It also allows you to see who is the closet fellow Cape York participant closest to you. This might also allow you to meet up and travel from home to Cairns together!

PS, 7 months and counting!

Regards,

RLI

Latest posts

Back