Canopy shopping today

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BJ Navara

Reaction score
Off canopy shopping today! Like the look of the ARB canopy rack setup so going for a closer look. Seems to mount off the side rail rather than the floor from the pictures. Rhino rack system appears to go to the floor, which will impact tub layout and third battery positioning.

ARB are crappy quality canopies and for the price there is better out there. It's been a long time since I looked at the Rhino but chances are if they mount from the floor it's because they will handle a better load on the roof. Mounting on the side rails when I brought mine was only good for about 70-80KG (the bars were supposedly capable of 100-120KG depending on the brand).

When you add it up 80KG on the rook is bugger all and unless you are carting large but light boxes in the tub you will easily fill the tub to it's "legal" limit before you need to stack things on the roof. Even worse if you are contemplating a roof tent you really do need to check the weight of the tent and the people sleeping in it. The last guy I know of who put a roof tent on realised after a few months that while the tent weighed less than 80KG two bodies sleeping in said tent over night took him well over the 110KG limit the bars offered him. As yet he hasn't gone through the roof and neither have heaps of other people with roof tents but without decent reenforcing the thought is always in the back of his mind and apparently after telling the missus she wont allow him a roll in the hay when they are up there..

Fair enough, you should fit under the 80kg mark, although i haven't weighed a spare in a long time, but fill it with nitrogen it will be lighter :rofl2:

those weights they talk about are moving loads...

when in motion 80/100 is the legal limit to be carried up that high.

when static they can easily hold 4 times that

thats why u can stand on racks that are on roofs etc

It's got nothing to do with legal, you can mount any amount of load up there if supported right, it's to do with the structure and how it's supported and anything not supported by bars going to the floor is only good for about 80kg. The only legal part of it comes down to the total weigh of the load on the axles which includes the canopy and all surrounding it. Sure they will take more than suggested just like I can tow more than 4 tonnes but 4 times the recommended load is mythical.

Thanks Krafty for the input.
I don't like high mounted load just on principle, that's why only the spare goes up top. Too big to put anywhere else as a rear wheel carrier is not on the approved options agenda! As in, the missus hates 'em!

Primarily,truth be told, the rack is really for the fishing rods, but don' tell the boss

Man if I had time for fishing I'd agree but I haven't had a chance to wet a line for so long the line has perished.

Went with the ARB, as I said, only the spare, the shovel and the fishing rod live up top. Keen to see the finished height with the Rhino basket on, might stop shopping centre entry! That can only be a good thing!

Latest posts

Back