Canopies and vision

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BGA

Reaction score
Howdy,

To those of you that have canopies on their Navs. Do they impede your rear view much?
Was recently given a canopy for my D40 but am now in two minds as to whether i should fit it to my rig or not. I currently like the way i have the car looking with a custom basket mounted above the rear sports bars , but i also like the fact that a conopy is secure, water tight and can lock things up inside. Just had a few people tell me that their canopies were a bit of pain at times especially reversing. Wondering what others think?

Bye the way how do you attach pics to posts? followed instructions and it doesnt seem to work?

I have a canvas canopy on my flat tray and to be honest, its a PITA when reversing, I can see through the clear windows on it but not all that well. I do have a reversing camera on it which makes life easier but its a wee bit broken at the moment. Reversing cam sits just under the tray and above the towbar

i have a canopy and have had a few dramas with it that have no been resolved by much attention and detail of work from FlexiGlass. so the rear view when reversing is a pita(as used above) but it can be easy fixed with a reverse camera either to a screen on the dash or a clip on mirror. they are cheap items and can be self fitted. but the security is the reason i went for it and also the aspect of having everything closed up dust free while touring.

Rusty

I'll second that, being able to see behind looking through the canopy is a nightmare. (Probably why I reversed into the tree while camping :rambo:)

But, so glad we got it, so much more usable space etc.

Howdy,

To those of you that have canopies on their Navs. Do they impede your rear view much?
Was recently given a canopy for my D40 but am now in two minds as to whether i should fit it to my rig or not. I currently like the way i have the car looking with a custom basket mounted above the rear sports bars , but i also like the fact that a conopy is secure, water tight and can lock things up inside. Just had a few people tell me that their canopies were a bit of pain at times especially reversing. Wondering what others think?

Bye the way how do you attach pics to posts? followed instructions and it doesnt seem to work?

Without a canopy you couldn't see kids behind the car anyway, so my recommendation is get a reversing camera. They really are invaluable. Failing that, I have not had too much trouble using the side mirrors for reversing - that's particularly useful when the caravan is attached!

My canopy has glass front and rear, so I can see straight through it. It's a little more difficult at night, the canopy is heavily tinted.

To attach an image to a message:

1) Use advanced mode (there's a button below the text box)
2) Scroll down to "manage attachments"
3) Click on "Browse" in the little window that appears
4) Find the file you want
5) Click Upload
6) In the little window, look for (top right) "Close window")

u can see out of it but in the bush when it gets dusty it can be very hard to see anything

Learn to use and trust your mirrors like a truck driver needs to and you'll barely notice the canopy is there.

oh yeh i forgot about the mirrors. my work ute has toolboxes on it so the rear view mirror is almost pointless. i tow a trailer almost everyday so liek a truck driver i trust my left and right mirrors.

KraftyPg said:
Learn to use and trust your mirrors like a truck driver needs to and you'll barely notice the canopy is there.

This x1000! I learnt long ago to do all my reversing using the wing mirrors, it's very rare that I ever need to look through the rear mirror.

+1 for mirrors. I have a canopy and no camera (yet). Never really have a problem with reversing.Often tow a trailer with bikes so used to mirrors.

I guess the main trick is to remember Like Vincent says "It's behind you, Tyrone. Whenever you reverse, things come from behind you."

i've always driven vans for work with no rear windows so got used to backing with mirrors, got reversing cam with the in dash gps and its brilliant with small kids.

My canopy is actually quite good for visibility but very dark (tinted rear window and tinted canopy windows) although i'm soon to have the rear window blocked permanantly with a water tank.

I love my canopy for functionability. I tow a work trailer but to throw extra things in-'makes life easy. Do need to sort out mine as it leaks a little.

+1 for visibility. Tinted ute windows, tinted canopy windows too. A bastard to back my black trailer up my drive at night, but have some 50w driving lights that I got for $20 to fix that problem when i have a spare day.

Hope we've helped..... Or have we just confused you even more....?
Don't use my side mirrors to back as wasn't taught to but will have to get back into it.

I wouldnt be without my canopy and have always used my side mirrors. i wouldnt mind a reversing camera for car park reversing and safety etc.

The main problem is when it is raining, you have 3 layers of wet glass you have to look through. I have a 3M canopy on a D40 king cab.

Wet glass and often fog/mist when the canopy heats up more than the outside air. Some canopies have a defogger on the rear window but it's pointless given that most front windows don't have them, however a sliding front window left open a little bit can help with that.

Latest posts

Back