Buying a D22

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

andrew96

Reaction score
Hey guys, I'm looking at getting my first car, and have been looking at d22's for while now. The str with the zd30. Is their anything to look for when buying 2nd hand and do the d22 S2 str's have the zd30 engine and turbo problems like some of the earlier models? Cheers

As far as I know the ZD30's in the Navaras don't suffer the same fate as the Patrols. Only heard of a couple that have had problems. They are a good and reliable motor. Mine has done 210,000 (2006) and no issues at all with the motor except one faulty oil light sensor

If its still running stock suspension get it upgraded right away, best difference ever

As far as I know the ZD30's in the Navaras don't suffer the same fate as the Patrols. Only heard of a couple that have had problems. They are a good and reliable motor. Mine has done 210,000 (2006) and no issues at all with the motor except one faulty oil light sensor

If its still running stock suspension get it upgraded right away, best difference ever

Agree with this comment D22s with ZD30 are great cars, jsut make sure to get a report before buying the car and check for log book. After 3 months owning our D22 just yesterday we installed 2"suspension lift kit height adjustment is just right and the ride is more pleasant.

only buy a series 2 STR (04-06) I have heard of the earlier ones blowing holes in pistons, you can do this by looking for one with chrome mirrors and/or the black dashboard. They are pretty slow though on the road but a better motor offroad compared to the 2.5, just verify its service history.

Yeah I'm looking at 2004- series 2 ones. Is a NADS kit necesary or just get a egr block off, oil catch cans, boost gauge and turbo timer? Cheers

only buy a series 2 STR (04-06) I have heard of the earlier ones blowing holes in pistons, you can do this by looking for one with chrome mirrors and/or the black dashboard. They are pretty slow though on the road but a better motor offroad compared to the 2.5, just verify its service history.

Mine has an upgraded exhaust 2.5inch and leaves my mates 2.5ltr for dead

What's the 2.5" sound like? I want an exhaust that has a lot of turbo whistle?

It sounds really good. Not as much turbo whistle as a 3inch but its noticeable. I have had people comment thinking I had a chip in the Navara

How are they offroad? Do they suffer when they get too hot? I'm thinking egt gauge and boost gauge is a good idea from what I hear to keep an eye on things.

Mine has no dramas offroad. No overheating etc. Good luck on your purchase!

Try and get a jap built 2.5 (2008) with JN1 vin number, they are put together a bit better.

A vehicle with leaf spring suspension is not as comfortable as a coil sprung vehicle. The most comfortable and capable offroad suspension setup I have found is live axle front and rear with coil springs all round.

The navaras have a live axle rear with leaf springs and Independent Front suspension with torsion bars.

If you want a dual cab ute designed for the bitumen road with good offroad capabilites get a navara. If you want a vehicle designed for offroad use with some bitumen road capabilities get a short wheel base live axle coil sprung vehicle e.g Patrol Shorty or Jeep wrangler.

Offroad the navaras are capable especially with a 2" lift. I used to have a lifted coil sprung vehicle that was amazing offroad, however I spent less then 1% of my driving time offroad so my priorities have shifted to on road handling, fuel economy, and packing space (the tray).

You need to decide what you want to do with your 4x4, if you want to do difficult offroad tracks every weekend with your mates in patrols, cruisers, wranglers etc I would consider something else.

Oh okay, I'm just wondering if its to hard, because I have a mate with a suzuki with f&r leaf springs and on rocky hill climbs the ride is horrendous. I just hope it's better then they are.

Oh okay, I'm just wondering if its to hard, because I have a mate with a suzuki with f&r leaf springs and on rocky hill climbs the ride is horrendous. I just hope it's better then they are.

My opinion, might ruffle some feathers... torsion bars are horrible almost worse then the stock leaf springs, I get shaken around everyday when I drive my D22, would love a prado or something with coils, would be a much nicer ride.

Latest posts

Back