Bubbles in the Radiator ?

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tasnav

Reaction score
Hi there,
I have a 2005 deisel Navara with 160,000km.

With the radiator cap off I have noticed some bubbles appearing in the radiator filler ?

There are no engine check lights or codes up.

Should this be a concern ? The car is running fine ?

Any help greatly appreciated.
Thanks

Do a Google search for something like "bubbles in radiator" there could be a few things from minor and easy to fix right up to the major and hard to fix depending on a few different things, some of these may not throw up codes immediately.

First thing that comes to my mind is a head gasket.

Even though this might not be the problem i agree with you... bubbles in radiator is usually a sure sign of head gasket failure...

cheers mark.

First thing that comes to my mind is a head gasket.

Yep that's my thought too. Also according to wiki answers itcould be a defective radiator cap on the reservoir return. Which makes me wonder, does the nav have a recovery system?

I'd go down to a radiator place and have the coolant tested for combustion gasses. I think it cost me $15 last time, (15 years ago).

There's a small pressure difference, the radiator sees about 15psi (you can hold 15psi with your finger) and the head gasket is holding in the force of a diesel combustion.

I think the radiator leak stuff works by congealing on contact with air, you may not get that in the head gasket, so I doubt that would work - if it's your head gasket. Only way to be sure is to get your radiator coolant tested as Kingcab has suggested.

Would Bar's Leak Raditor treatment ... maybe..... fix things alittle ?

That really depends on what the actual problem is. you need to know that before you use any additive like bars leak.

I thought Bars Leak works by applying a thin coating to the entire inside of your radiator & cooling system which reduces (although only minorly) its cooling performance. My advise, go get a mechanic to look at it and advise you what needs doing.

Could be a cracked heah aswell.

Get a leak down test done, will give you some answers.

Whats the under side of your oil cap like ? Milky ? blown head gasket or cracked head.

Dave.

agree with the others, points to cracked head or gasket. If so you can fix it with some of that liquid glass stuff. works awesome. one maza ute i had used a fair bit of water and this stuff fixed in within minutes and was still perfect after 12 mths when i sold it.

Hi Tasnav,

Sounds like a head gasket or a cracked head as others have said. Have a look at your engine oil to see whether it is milky at all. If so, don't add a bandaid patch like bars leaks, get it fixed properly or it will cost a lot more to fix than a gasket or a new head.

You can easily get the cooling system pressure tested. You need to face the problem properly before you do more damage than is necessary. Take it to a mechanic who knows his stuff.

Good luck,

DJ

Hi Tasnav, Yeah the guys are right, Alloy heads have a tendancy to crack or warp. I'd take it to a mechanic. I have an 05 nav. aswell, although it has only done half the kms, so interested to know how you get on...Cheers...

What kind of bubbles does it look like hundreds of small ones or is it larger slower ones, and dont add anything to water it will cost you later.

Latest posts

Back