ABN for a discount bargain?

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mate of mine just purchased a new D40 ST with steel winch bar, roof bars, electronic rust prevention, rhino liner, floor mats, tow bar all for 42k. Apparently normally 50k worth so I guess they will do a deal if they are wanting the sale badly enough.

Your ABN discount is pretty much the same as a fleet discount, the dealers just use it to give you a discount they can well afford to do for everyone but aren't legally allowed to. There is no problems with using your registered ABN the vehicle doesn't have to be registered as a business vehicle and you don't need to even claim it on your tax as an expense. It's purely so the dealer can show on their records that the discount they gave you was valid as per government rulings. It's obviously not a common practice but I have seen cases where ABN's used weren't even the purchasers ABN but it's not advisable to try this as most dealers will check and not accept anything not registered to the buyer.

WHAT the ABN price isn't:
Fleet and ABN discounts are nothing to do with the government rulings.

WHAT the ABN price is:
ABN price is purely a name manufacturers use for there fleet discounts.
The "ABN" price is offered by the manufacturer and they decide what it is.

NISSAN internal policy on"ABN" discount:
In Nissans' case the dealer must show they sold the car to an ABN holder, the car must be registered in the same name as the business (or sole trader) before nissan will sell the car to the dealer at the discounted price.
Previously a shonky dealer would fake an ABN discount and thus rip off the manufacturer. Nissan solution is as above. they must see the paperwork with all the correct information and the purchaser must have held an ABN for at least 30 days. this is to reduce the amount of people getting an ABN just to get a discount then cancelling it.
Nissan is the only manufacturer that does this. You will find if you go to anyone else ie toyota holden ford isuzu they will sell a car to an employee who is using it for business, as long as you provide a letter from your employer showing this to be true.
. Nissan will not, the owner of the car must hold the ABN.
I work for one of the biggest private firms in Australia with over 500 fleet cars through our divisions, I know 2 people with a Nissan, and frankly the amount of trouble I had to go to with Nissan almost made me buy a holden.

As for the original post. Nissan advertises its ABN prices on its website Nissan.com.au look under Navara then specials. Currently (november) the stx petrol ABN price is about $38k, my series4 stx diesel cost me $47K + about 2k for some extras (towbar,racks,mats,protectors etc)

Isuzu will sell you a dmax LSU for about 39K if its for business Ford will sell you a XLT? ranger for $37K. Both of these are "ABN" prices, however for these manufacturers you do not need an abn, you just need to prove the car is used for business (ie as above, get a letter from your boss).

Sorry bit long winded... I was on a roll...

After saying all the above, its worth the extra 7-8K for a much better car in my opinion.
OH and if anyone is thinking about taking an abn to get the discount. Besides following the tax depts rules as you should (you read them when you apply). Heres a tip , you can back date the ABN 30days when you apply online anyway, which completely defeats the purpose of Nissans 30 day policy....

Cheers

WHAT the ABN price isn't:
Fleet and ABN discounts are nothing to do with the government rulings.

WHAT the ABN price is:
ABN price is purely a name manufacturers use for there fleet discounts.
The "ABN" price is offered by the manufacturer and they decide what it is.

NISSAN internal policy on"ABN" discount:
In Nissans' case the dealer must show they sold the car to an ABN holder, the car must be registered in the same name as the business (or sole trader) before nissan will sell the car to the dealer at the discounted price.
Previously a shonky dealer would fake an ABN discount and thus rip off the manufacturer. Nissan solution is as above. they must see the paperwork with all the correct information and the purchaser must have held an ABN for at least 30 days. this is to reduce the amount of people getting an ABN just to get a discount then cancelling it.
Nissan is the only manufacturer that does this. You will find if you go to anyone else ie toyota holden ford isuzu they will sell a car to an employee who is using it for business, as long as you provide a letter from your employer showing this to be true.
. Nissan will not, the owner of the car must hold the ABN.
I work for one of the biggest private firms in Australia with over 500 fleet cars through our divisions, I know 2 people with a Nissan, and frankly the amount of trouble I had to go to with Nissan almost made me buy a holden.

As for the original post. Nissan advertises its ABN prices on its website Nissan.com.au look under Navara then specials. Currently (november) the stx petrol ABN price is about $38k, my series4 stx diesel cost me $47K + about 2k for some extras (towbar,racks,mats,protectors etc)

Isuzu will sell you a dmax LSU for about 39K if its for business Ford will sell you a XLT? ranger for $37K. Both of these are "ABN" prices, however for these manufacturers you do not need an abn, you just need to prove the car is used for business (ie as above, get a letter from your boss).

Sorry bit long winded... I was on a roll...

After saying all the above, its worth the extra 7-8K for a much better car in my opinion.
OH and if anyone is thinking about taking an abn to get the discount. Besides following the tax depts rules as you should (you read them when you apply). Heres a tip , you can back date the ABN 30days when you apply online anyway, which completely defeats the purpose of Nissans 30 day policy....

Cheers

Do you work for the tax department.

If I were you I would shop around a few dealers and play them off at each other.
I bought my 03 D22 brand new and I got winch plus bar,head light protectors,tow bar torno cover,tub liner,tinted windows.paint protection,remote central locking,immobiliser,mats and a full tank of fuel on the road for $40300.00 with abn.
For all of that other dealers wanted around the 50 mark.

Do you work for the tax department.

No, but I went in and had an hour long interview with them to clarify this very subject, as every accountant I spoke to understood it differently.
( I did however, used to work for Nissan)

Just remember though, this is a forum, dont take what I say as gospel, check for yourself... (and not on the internet...)

FYI sales tax is charged whatever price the dealer gives you, ABN or not.
unless you have an exeption. Nothing to do with "abn" price though.

There is a general misunderstanding that the "ABN price" has something to do with tax.
But it is simply a lower purchase price offered because you have a business (ie an ABN supposedly shows the vehicle is for a business).

Nissan will sell a vehicle to a business for ther "ABN" price. They will not sell a vehicle to someone who is using it for business purposes who does not have an ABN. It is purely an internal policy. ( And idiotic in my opinion , as I mentioned in my last post, they are loosing out on multiple sales to business use customers due to this strange policy)

There is also some confusion over who is eligible for certain loan types, the tax department frowns upon private people purchasing a vehicle using business type loans where the vehicle is not for business use.
They have let this be known to financial institutions. Some financial institutions (esanda and st george for example) have misunderstood this and will only give a business type loan to an abn holder.
However, the tax department is OK with you getting a business loan if the vehicle is for work purposes, you do not need an abn.
I believe stgeorge has now reversed ths policy, as long as you provide a letter from your employer showing the car is for business use (you would obviously get some sort of car allowance) you can get a business loan from them.

Digressing here however, the original poster wanted to know what the best price he could get was.
If you really push the dealer, you should be able to get the vehicle at the ABN price anyway. Youve just gotta be tough, go at the end of the month etc and you would be surprised how low you can get the price.
I was quoted a non "abn" price for st-x dualcab diesel of $49K before even trying to haggle.

My thoughts on getting the best price;
1. work out exactly want you want (be specific i.e not just 'canopy' but brand/finish etc).
2. call your closest 5 dealers ask for price within 48hrs, and fax them the details.
3. specify a delivery date.

I reckon this saves a hell of a lot of running around, and you sort the dealers who want a sale out from those who won't really work for a sale.

Latest posts

Back