A few d22 wiring questions.

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gyoung

Reaction score
Hi all, I own a 2009 d22 with factory fitted twin cranking batteries. I don't have much of an idea about 12 volt wiring but want to learn. I want to run a wire to a cigarette socket in the tub to power a 60 litre waeco when driving and run another wire to an Anderson plug on the tow bar to charge the battery in the camper trailer when driving. I don't want to flatten my car batteries if I happen to stop for a couple of hours, so do I need an isolator or a relay and where are the best places to wire these up? Do I need two separate wires for cigarette socket and the Anderson plug? Appreciate any feedback, cheers.

Welcome to the forum!

If your intention is to only power the fridge while you're driving, just use a relay that's activated by the ignition then proceed with power to the rear as described below.

If you want the fridge independently powered so that you can stop for lunch without it losing power, you need to isolate the second battery (Redarc sell isolators that work, as do Projecta). The isolator will protect the starter battery from overdischarging and will allow the auxiliary battery to be charged once the starter battery has been charged sufficiently.

In BOTH cases, you want heavy cabling running to the rear so that you don't lose a lot of voltage. Waeco fridges are sensitive to low voltage - that's normally a good thing, because it saves your battery - but a long thin cable will present an apparent low voltage on the end of the cable causing the fridge to trip. When I say "heavy", I don't mean "20A" cable you can buy in K-Mart. I'm talking about 4Ga cable like this from Jaycar - it's a lot more expensive per metre, but the overall cost isn't too bad when you consider that the end result is a far, far superior job.

You would do the same kind of cable for the Anderson plug in the rear (for the same reason). You'd only have to run ONE black (negative) cable down - it will cope with the trailer load and the fridge in the tub quite easily and the fact that you're not using one or the other of the red cables won't make any difference.

Hope that helps a bit!

do not use a cigarette socket as this combo works loose, shorts, hats up and melts, unlee you push the plug in every time you stop. That spring laden tip is what does it.

I think MERIT is a similar socket that has a matching plug that locks in.

FWIW, I actually replaced my fridge 12v plug with an Anderson plug.

There s a lot of info already posted. I suggest a search.

Thanks for the replies Old Tony and terryc, answered my questions and helped me get my head around it. Probably should have took a bit more time and researched better, there is a lot of info here about it.

Latest posts

Back