winding up diesel pump td27???

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jimmyd21

Reaction score
Hey guys i fitted a turbo to my navara td27 to day, after winding the screw on the diesel pump about half a turn it transformed this old girl into what feels like a race car! It doesnt blow any smoke. Can i over do it winding the diesel pump out as long as im not blowing smoke? Havnt fitted egt yet,thats next on my list. Advice on this would be great, Cheers

fit EGT gauge first. smoke is a poor indicator and quite often hard to see when driving.
i assume you don't have a boost compensator on the injection pump, so be easy on how you drive. your main problem will be over fueling before the boost comes on.

I'd turn the screw back to where it was, fit the EGT, then play around with the fuelling. Half a turn is a fair bit from memory.

Cheers guys, i might back this screw off a bit in that case,till i fit egt. im well impressed with how much more torque a turbo gave it, makes ya wonder why nissan ever put out the td27 with out one!!?

Cheers guys, i might back this screw off a bit in that case,till i fit egt. im well impressed with how much more torque a turbo gave it, makes ya wonder why nissan ever put out the td27 with out one!!?
they did make a factory turboed TD27. generally found in the terrano but i think there was some navaras in some markets which got them.

Hey there guys

just reading this post i think most of you guys talk rubbish and do too much reserch,EGT is a waste of time. im a qualifed mechanic now and have been for 12years and been working on diesel engines since i started,i have also pulled many td27s apart and they are built to last with strong internals and if you turbo a non turbo td27 you dont need a EGT just give it a tune up and your away,I have a navara ute with 320k on the clock when i got it all i did was weld a flange onto the stock na manifold and threw on a Terrano turbo and its been running like this for 3 and a half years now and because the td27s have such fat rods i dont even use a wastegate! so Jimmyd21 just service the beast regulary and shell be sweet most issures are from poor service big ends etc...I have also done this conversion to customer vehicles aswell with absoulutly no issues.

CASE CLOSED!

what a load of sh*t boostyballs.
i could wind the fuel up so much it would melt the pistons before you got out of the driveway.
yes they are a strong motor but they melt pistons just like every other engine.
if you don't need a waste gate then your not putting enough fuel into it !

I think there's a rather blurry line between "being concerned for the longevity of the engine" and "talking rubbish and doing too much research".

Half the reason why your TD27s have lasted as long as they have is because Nissan over-engineered them.

That's all we're doing. I'm sure that in some people's experiences we talk HUGE amounts of shit - just go look in the 2-stroke thread, or in the DPF removal threads where we're talking about things like HO2S being spaced a few mm here or there. Now THAT is getting into the fine stuff and it's boring as batshit for many - but others like it, they enjoy the discussions and they get something out of it.

I think Jimmy can relax a little with your input though - it helps, knowing that the TD27 is a much more robust engine than many may have thought.

Jimmy - are you intercooling it? That will help lower temps a little and will help if anything goes wrong with the turbo. On the subject of turbos themselves, make sure you have a read in the "Caring For Your Turbocharger" FAQ.

You might wanna ask Kenworth and Mack why they use Pyrometre's.

I am sure they'll say there a waste of time to. Lol.

just reading this post i think most of you guys talk rubbish and do too much reserch,EGT is a waste of time.

Well done for being a dick in your very first post, but I still genuinely hope you hang around.

I have a navara ute with 320k on the clock when i got it all i did was weld a flange onto the stock na manifold and threw on a Terrano turbo and its been running like this for 3 and a half years now and because the td27s have such fat rods i dont even use a wastegate!

People always quote how many years, useless. How many kilometres have you done in those three years? Also, what rod/filler wire did you use to weld the flange on? The Terrano turbo has an internal wastegate, so you must have blanked the boost line off the compressor housing? What boost is the turbo running to, I'm curious to know how much that turbo is capable of? Or are boost gauges also pointless?

Latest posts

Back