What to look for in a D22

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

4low

Reaction score
Hello guys

Finally I am beginning the painful process of looking for a D22, ive been waiting a few months to get my tax back and finally its go time!

Im going to look at a d22 this afternoon and seeing as ive only owned a petrol vehicle, I wouldnt know what to look out for in a diesel. The car in question has done under 100,000kms and seems to have all the cosmetic features I need, other upgrades I will look at later

What should I look for around the engine that is diesel related?

for one with under 100k kms, i'd be looking at things that will tell you what sort of Kms it has done eg. hard work or daily driver etc. i'd be looking to see if it has the EGR bypass and a catch can. there's not much else you can see from the outside and they are a pretty good motor anyway.

look at things like;
suspension - has it been changed? what sort. will suggest if it has been off road much.
tyres - what sort, tread left (same reason as suspension)
overall condition - inside & out, will tell you if its been looked after or not.
service history.
what was it used for - tradies car, family car, etc.

Watch this
[YT]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-I1Nzx2iSiY&feature=player_embedded[/YT]

Thanks Will, that video was good viewing

Some nice points you have given, I will make use of them :D

Will mines done 185,000km's, going by some of the threads mine is doing better then some of the low km ones.

Make sure its been serviced, quality fuel used etc.

Dave.

Thanks Dave

Had a good look at it and test drive and im impressed! Tomorrow will be seeing it again and taking it to the mechanics to check the 4wd and do a compression test

If all goes well, I could be a Nissan owner next week:rock:

Will mines done 185,000km's, going by some of the threads mine is doing better then some of the low km ones.

Make sure its been serviced, quality fuel used etc.

Dave.

yeah, mine had 185,000 kms on it when i bought it and it goes like a dream. You just gotta look after it when you get it. it now has almost 200k and no dramas to speak of. touch wood!

Excellent!

Another thing, the car has money owing on it. Now, if we were to purchase the vehicle we would have to make a cheque to the finance company and the remainder to the owner.

The owner says the cheque will have to be cleared by the finance company before we can take the vehicle, thats seems a little unfair to me. If i pay I should be able to take it once the money is handed over correct?

Otherwise they can take off with my money and im left with no goods

Excellent!

Another thing, the car has money owing on it. Now, if we were to purchase the vehicle we would have to make a cheque to the finance company and the remainder to the owner.

The owner says the cheque will have to be cleared by the finance company before we can take the vehicle, thats seems a little unfair to me. If i pay I should be able to take it once the money is handed over correct?

Otherwise they can take off with my money and im left with no goods

My parents bought a car like that, but settled at the finance co's office. Paid the balance out (If it is cash you should get instant clear title) . In our case the buyer had to finalise the shortfall as he owed more than the sale price.

Worked out fine in our case

Regards

Greg

My parents bought a car like that, but settled at the finance co's office. Paid the balance out (If it is cash you should get instant clear title) . In our case the buyer had to finalise the shortfall as he owed more than the sale price.

Worked out fine in our case

Regards

Greg

I've found out more info and might encounter a problem. The owner of the car lives 300kms away and its her brother that is selling it on her behalf. There are 2 problems:

1. We have to do 2 separate cheques/cash. One to finance and one to her. The Finance company has to give us a receipt and so does the owner. We have to write down what the money is for and all details etc and both parties sign

2. She doesnt want to come down as she lives 300kms away so it would be pointless if the brother signs as he can do a runner with the cash as theoretically the vehicle isnt in his name and hasnt been signed over to us (no sig from her)

We will still go and have a chat, if she doesnt come then im steering clear of it. It was a good truck too with a lot of accessories, no wonder it hasnt sold

Good luck mate.

I have never bought a car with finance owing so cant really comment on that.

Dave.

My only advice is buy a D40. But seriously make sure you document everything and have proof of anything money wise and ownership wise, I haven't done it myself but I do know of people who've been royally shafted through deals like this. Good luck,

The owner isn't willing to come down so won't be bothering until that happens, too risky otherwise

Last edited:
That bullbar is a custom apparently, dunno how that would go in a crash. Insurance wise.

Dave.

The bullbar is from a company, something along the lines of Hoppa Croppa?? Not too sure, there was a sticker on the side of the bullbar I didnt take much notice of it. I would ditch it though if I did buy it, its a Scruby magnet

What to look for in a D22?
Make sure that the PTO and 3 point linkage is all intact and working.
Has it got approved ROPS?
If it has been sheded then thats a bonus.

Sorry couldn't help myself

Latest posts

Back