What dont you like about your D22

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
1) The crappy ride.
2) Lack of things already mentioned like central locking, ABS, cruise.
3) Lack of somewhere to keep my sunnies.
Yes, all bar the ABS can be done with after market but in this century you shouldn't have to. All this stuff comes stock on sub $20k cars, so they should be on $40K utes!!

I only really have a couple of gripes about my D22 (ZD30)

It is seriously short on torque until you get it up to around 1500 rpm and get some boost happening (Which is a PITA when towing) I have not driven a YD25 powered one to compare. But with the ZD30, uphill starts when towing feel like a toss up between the combo starting to move off and the clutch giving up. In some situations where I can stop after the climb I put it in low range to make sure I will not have a problem.

The rear seat space is really a luggage space, otherwise good for young kids and amputees.

The front seats and the driving position are OK, but not great.

The ride is strangely miss matched front to rear, the rear shows the 1 tonner heritage and the front is marshmallow soft so over undulations you get the rear suspension trying to compress your spine and then a moment later the front trying to make you seasick as it dumps down onto the stops. Not a nice feeling.

I have been thinking on if I keep mine or sell it to lease a D40 for work (The ride would put me off selling the D22 to the lease company and leasing it back instead of getting a new D40) If I kept it under a lease I would have to spend a couple of grand on it first I reckon, some good front seats, retrimmed to match the car or retrim the rear seat to match the new front ones and some trick springs and torsion bars to improve the ride and the front to rear balance.

I think it is a good ute for the money paid, but there are plenty of things I would have set up differently.

I have a new 2.5. Your comments are very accurate, even for the 2.5. I think the new ones might be better in the front suspension (But mine has done 250km, 2 weeks old) but rear susp is still jarring.

Regards
Greg

After filling her up today I decided I don't like the way I have to go slow with the pump or get diesel all down the side of my NAV and I've not filled it up yet without get the smelly crap on my hands!!

Last edited:
There were a few things I didn't like about my Nav, so I fixed 'em. I wanted a D40 but couldn't justify the pricetag for the few things the D22 didn't have so for a few grand I have pretty much all the wizz bang stuff the D40 has except for the room and drink holders. Luckily the 09 model came with dual airbags and ABS, so I fitted a decent stereo with bluetooth hands free car kit, Cruise Control and Tough Dog suspension which sorted out the ride and lack of lift when fully loaded. I chipped it to sort out the power.

I still have to fix the cabin light door switches (which really pisses me orf).other than that, I'm pretty happy with my ute, it does everything I want it to and more, and constantly surprises me in off road conditions.

DJ

Suspension

There were a few things I didn't like about my Nav, so I fixed 'em. I wanted a D40 but couldn't justify the pricetag for the few things the D22 didn't have so for a few grand I have pretty much all the wizz bang stuff the D40 has except for the room and drink holders. Luckily the 09 model came with dual airbags and ABS, so I fitted a decent stereo with bluetooth hands free car kit, Cruise Control and Tough Dog suspension which sorted out the ride and lack of lift when fully loaded. I chipped it to sort out the power.

I still have to fix the cabin light door switches (which really pisses me orf).other than that, I'm pretty happy with my ute, it does everything I want it to and more, and constantly surprises me in off road conditions.

DJ

DJ,

Just interested in how much improvement the tough dog rear springs and 4 shocks improved the ride? Did it become more comfortable?

Regards
Greg

Off road the D22 is fantastic.
If you dont mind driving a Massey Grey down the freeway then it will suit you.
The Dmax is soft off road but is a more suitable road vehicle.

Hi ST-R,

The shocks make a big difference as did the springs especially when you consider the rear spring packs are 300kg Heavy Duty. I spend quite a bit of time towing fully loaded with the van on the back so the heavy springs were necessary.

With a full load the ride is excellent both front and rear. With an empty tray, the front is great, but the back is like a billy cart. I drive with my tools and a few Jerry cans of fuel in the back to take the sting out of it.

I don't expect my 4X4 work ute to ride with the comfort of a family sedan when running around town, but when I go away with the fam and all our stuff, and play hard off road, it rocks!

Attached is a pic of the Nav and trailer fully loaded onroute to Tom Price. It is sitting at ride height. Sorry for the sh1tty pic, evening shot with the iphone

DJ

Attachments

• Jayco.jpg
    Jayco.jpg
    176.2 KB
I have a 2009, D22 STR, Have had problems with it within half an hour of collecting it from Nissan. Steering wobbly, suspension shot within first 1000km (all ashphelt work), rear exhaust bracket fell off within first 50 km of collecting from dealer, Drivers seat frame hs collapsed, frot diff flange seal leak, transfer box leak, free wheeling hubs locked up by themselves. exhaust fell off within 100km of pick up due to rubber mount not fitted properly, noise in fron right suspension, read diff leak within 200kms of pick up from dealers. Nissan Dealer and Service in Alice Springs pathetic as I had earmarked faults within first 500kms and advised dealer, has taken 10 months for some parts to arrive from Japan. Seems Nissan Service is pathetic anywhere, I was also considering a Dmax and now wish I had purchased one. I have done 22500km in my D22 but about 18000kms has been running it into Nissan Alice Springs to get things fixed on it. The Thai built D22s are lemons. Go the Dmax route.

Just read this thread again, and I'm convinced we have some closet GIRLYMEN amongst us
Talk about petty whinging:sarcastic:

here ya go ya poor luv's:flowers::flowers:

Latest posts

Back