unable to pump fuel to filter

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

poogie

Reaction score
newbe to the forum,my truck is a navara stx spain build 2008 2.5 lt d auto 4x4, have a prob with the fuel fillter i think, unable to pump fuel to the fuel fillter its not a nissan fillter an after market one, any way had a prob putting the bugger in might bugger it up. i was reading on this site that it could be the scv i had that out not long ago to clean it, put it back in done a dcu reset for fuel bobs your uncle,replaced the fuel fillter and havn't stoped having probs with it,took the primer h,,ose of the fillter tried pumping it up to there but no good, even cranked the engine over but due to the allready trying to start the truck battery went dead.must have a air lock or is sucking air in from somewhere,the scv has it got a gasket where it sits on the back of the injection pump didn't see on when i took the first time,any way i check all the hoses from the pump back to the fillter, is there any thing more i could do to fix this bugger upup:deadhorse:: :

Last edited:
so just to get it straight, did you replace the filter and cant prime the fuel back up? or you cant pump it up even since it has been running ?

no haven't replaced the fillter yet, to answer your queston no cant pump fuel up to the old fillter the trucks on a bit off a hill with 1/4 tank in it going to put more fuel in to day see what happens, took the primer hose off fillter ,pump like mad nothing but air going to try cranking over see if it pumps any fuel, i dont want buy an other filter if i can get away with it. had the prob for a while were you get up go out start the truck and she runs for 20 sec stops pump the primer seh starts bobs your uncle. but this tine no go thanks for the reply mate. regards poogie:confused3:

Starting the car wont help pump up fuel as there is no pump up stream of the filter. the hand pump is it. it could be low fuel. or the hand pump could be cactus. the hand pump needs to be level or horizontal to work, not vertical.

As above DONT try and start or crank the engine or you will get air in the system which intern may need to be bled in order to work again.

I would definitely add more fuel and for the sake of a few $$ i would just wack another filter on.
then if you cant get it to prime you can try (and this has worked for me on a few older diesels) put either a garden leaf blower or air comperssor in the fuel tank filler and pump air into the fuel tank at the same time as you pump the primer this then will help the fuel get from the tank up to the plunger, you will need to try and put a rag around the filler at the same time to try and prevent air from escaping.

If you are needing to prime the system at every start i would suggest you may have a air leak in the fuel line at some point which is allowing the system to loos pressure.
Go over every hose and hose clamp and make sure there is no pin holes or leaks in any way .

Aftermarket filters are notorious for ill-fitting inner seals. The filter sits on the suction side of the pump and it's high in the engine bay, so it will never show diesel leaking out - it will only suck air in.

On a steep incline (facing downhill) our cars do tend to suck air in the fuel pickup, which sits towards the rear of the tank.

What I'd do:

1) Put another 20-40 litres of fuel in the tank, re-prime and get it out onto level ground. leave it (6-8 hours) and try starting it again. Failure accompanied by a LOT of priming means air leak and the filter is one of the first places to look.

2) Replace the fuel filter. Even genuine ones are tricky to install and Nissan dealer workshops have mucked these up in the past. Be careful, take your time, get it right and you won't have to do it a second time.

3) Closely examine the primer bulb for wear/cracks. It could the be the culprit drawing in the air.

thanks mates for answering got the truck started today but stills shit it self put more fuel in 3/4 tank, i think you guys might be right new nissan filter tomorrow where half way home, thanks again mates let you know how she goes regards poogie

Latest posts

Back