turbo on 720

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

koles347

Reaction score
is it possible to put a turbo onto a nissan 720. i'm just curious. what would need to be bought for the set-up?

SD23 or SD25 ?

Yeah its possible but the head doesn't take to well to boost compared to the TD and QD series.

Dave.

ok, so what if i change it, what do have to change to do the conversion.

so, what is the real difference between the SD25/23, and the TD & QD series

The TD/ QD have a different head, also the starter motor is on the drivers side so you need a different bell housing or gearbox.

Also the conversion most likely will need to be engineered if the 720 didn't originally have a TD variant.

I was told by a wrecker that the main bearings in a SD25 wouldn't take the added load of a turbo after 200,000k's anyway. I don't know if this is true tho.

Last edited:
Find a wrecked TD27 powered D21 and get all the gear out of that.

Someone here was doing the conversion you wanna do.

Dave.

Mate, the conversion to a TD27 is fairly straight forward. The hardest part is finding a bell housing without the gearbox! If you can it might be easier to buy the whole gearbox then swap the bell housings and sell the box again with your SD25 housing on it.
Other than that the engine mounts and gauge plugs are all the same.

so it's just a simple swap and hook everything back up to where it was on the SD25?

Pretty much, I've not done anything with the tacho yet so I'm not sure if there is anything to muck around with there but everything else is basically a straight swap. I wouldnt really bother doing a swap to a straight TD27, I'd just wait till you can get a TD27T and swap with that instead.
Having said that I'm doing a conversion from a D21 to a D21 and I have no idea if there are any differences between the D21 and 720 (engine and gearbox will be the same but not sure about guages, tacho, etc)

Early D21's and 720's share the same chassis.

About the time the TD27 came out in the D21 Nissan changed the chassis to pretty much the same as the D22.

Dion should have a good idea on what changed.

Dave.

Early D21's and 720's share the same chassis.

About the time the TD27 came out in the D21 Nissan changed the chassis to pretty much the same as the D22.

Dion should have a good idea on what changed.

The TD27 was bolted into the D21 from 1988, though the Terrano had it since 1986 and went to the TD27T in 1988. 1986 is the official changeover year from the 720 to the D21. Whilst in the US there seems to be some strange model crossover out of the Smyrna, TN. plant as far as I'm aware there was a distinct changeover for Australian delivered models. I've dealt with some 86 models and whilst there were tiny changes for the 1988 model update (ie. steering column to firewall flange), the chassis appears to have been unchanged. I've never had the pleasure of working on a 720 so I know little about these trucks but I do know the general concensus is that the chassis is largely unchanged from the 720 to the D21. I also know that the SD23 and SD25 are common to both trucks pre 1988, and the FS5W71C transmission is also common, albeit with a divorced transfer case. That part commonality means you may well be able to slip a TD27 into a SD23/5 720 without mods but my experience is that tiny changes always trip you up, so you will probably find yourself doing minor bracket modifications to make it all work.

The bullbars for the later D21's wont fit the earlier so I here so the front of the chassis is different you would think.

Dave.

The bullbars for the later D21's wont fit the earlier so I here so the front of the chassis is different you would think.

Dave.

They bolt up but the change in front grille makes the old bullbars too high. Cut and shut the bracket down about 40mm and you're sweet.

So as long as you can change the bellhousing on the 720 gearbox you should have a good chance at getting the conversion to work? I would have thought you will have problems with the licencing as the TD27 didnt come out in the 720.

So as long as you can change the bellhousing on the 720 gearbox you should have a good chance at getting the conversion to work? I would have thought you will have problems with the licencing as the TD27 didnt come out in the 720.

thats one thing i'll find out

Latest posts

Back