turbo not working when towing

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

poogie

Reaction score
:violin2: 2008 d40 2.5 lt turbo d auto m just been under the bonnet of the navara had a looksee at the turbo took off the air cleaner undone a couple of nuts on the turbo housing and could see a little fan like thing witch i could turn easy with my fingers both clockwise n antyclockwise it is very dirty inside of the turbo should it be . had a good look at the some of the hoses coming of the turbo check for any splits or perished hoses the only hose that sus is the one that connscted to the turbo actuator all other hoses r ok there was a suggestion to check and clean the maf sensor thats near the air cleaner is it a rectangle type thing its very dirty as well. the other suggestion was the fuel fillter what do i look for there,or do we just replace it. took of a hard plastic housing thats has a rubber seal in it it con nects to the turbo, and what looks like a aggie pipe that goes to the air cleaner the seal looks ok, the truck has no power when towing up hill it blow black smoke and only pulling 2000pounds,any thing else any one could think of that could fix lack of power,started the car up looks like turbo is working ok ,found a oil leak i think they call it the oil injector pump o-ring could that be the porb when under load loose pressure. talk latter regards poogie

Last edited:
More info please?? If you are talking about a d40 auto common problem no idea why or how to really fix it.

A small amount of oil inside the turbo is normal - it comes from the PCV, which is the hose that goes from the top of the camshaft cover at the rear of the motor to the air intake pipe just in front of the turbo.

If the small vacuum hose has perished - that's not unexpected - replace it. If the vacuum leaks, the turbo vanes won't respond well and when you want power you won't have it.

The MAFS is as you've described but can ONLY be cleaned with electrical contact cleaner (or MAFS cleaner, same thing but twice the price). Do NOT put anything into the opening, not even a cotton bud - only the spray cleaner. If you break the sensor it's $400 at Mr Nissan (and the car will NOT like a defective MAFS - you'll be in limp mode before you can fart the national anthem).

Latest posts

Back